Orvis 9’ 5 wt Recon

thavelka

thavelka

Any suggestions for the best reel to pair with a 9’ 5 wt Orvis Recon Rod? Been looking at the Hydros SL II and the Allen Kraken. Thanks.

I really like the hydros sl lll & IV that comes with the rod package from orvis. The hydros was the first large arbor reel that I ever owned and I've been impressed. The drag system is also good and easy to use I've tested it out on several large carp on the Susquehanna and the reel seems to be pretty durable I'm going on 3 years of banging it around and dropping it in river mud

I have one form or another of all of the Orvis disc drag reels but haven't fished with all of than yet since this was such a strange year with water levels and temperatures.

I have two new Hydros reels but have yet to use them. I have an old Battenkill disc drive reel that worked very well in Alaska on two vacations. I caught fish there large enough to see my backing.

I caught my largest trout ever in PA on an Orvis Clearwater disc drive reel. it worked just fine on a 20" stocked trout.

I am confident that the Hydros will be a great reel as well.

thavelka wrote:
Any suggestions for the best reel to pair with a 9’ 5 wt Orvis Recon Rod? Been looking at the Hydros SL II and the Allen Kraken. Thanks.

I cant speak off the Kraken because I have never held one . But the Orvis Hydros is a nice reel and has received good reviews

https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/orvis-hydros-sl-fly-reel-review/

The Allen reels are great, I have an atlas myself and I love it. The only orvis reel I have is an old battenkill and it's still going strong.

I would go with either the Hydros II or III. Go to your local fly shop and try them both on and see which reel you like better. Weight isn't going to be that much of a difference. I have a II on my 8'6" 4wt Recon and a II on my 10' 3wt nymph rod. I would probably recommend the II but it may be personal preference. Good Luck.

Back