Orange Stimulator

JerryCoviello

JerryCoviello

The Stimulator was originally designed by Jim Slattery owner of Campfire Lodge West Yellowstone. Jim designed this fly while fishing on the Musconetcong River in NJ, where he came from before moving to West Yellowstone MT. BUT the name came from punk rock band that played in NYC called the Stimulators. Also Jim makes the best Cinnamon rolls i have ever had.

Materials
Hook: Curved Shank Daiichi 1270
Thread: Hot Orange 70 Denier
Tail: Elk Hair fibers slightly longer than gap width
Palmer Rib: Brown Hackle palmered through body
Body: Orange, Yellow, Olive Dubbing
Wing: Elk hair tips to line up with tail
Head: Amber or Yellow Dubbing
Collar: Grizzly Hackle wound thought head

https://youtu.be/JvEIeK5VI4w

Attachments

• Stimulator Signed Resized for PFF.jpg
    Stimulator Signed Resized for PFF.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 8
I need some stims in my fly box. Thats one fly I do not carry and I should. There are a few times I've come across stone fly hatches that they could have been useful.

bigjohn58 wrote:
I need some stims in my fly box. Thats one fly I do not carry and I should. There are a few times I've come across stone fly hatches that they could have been useful.

You definitely should. On mountain streams, both PA and in the west, Stimulators are one of the best dry flies.

My favorite is size 14, with a yellow body.

It is an awesome pattern in various sizes and colors. Great for the top end on a dry/dropper set up too.

Not just the cinnamon rolls, but I’ll have to add that all of the breakfasts at the Campfire Lodge are my favorites in the entire world. There’s something about smelling bacon and pancakes on the grill while sitting in the knotty pine paneled dining room or porch while looking at the steam coming of the MadIson River flowing close by.

Back