Opinions on Hendrickson Please

RonB

RonB

I purchased a neck at a shop and when I checked it out it looked great for Hendricksons. Must have had something to do with the lighting in the shop. When I got home it was not what I expected it to be. Do you think it will still work?

Attachments

• hendrickson.JPG
    hendrickson.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 9
  • hendrickson1.JPG
    hendrickson1.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 6
  • hendrickson2.JPG
    hendrickson2.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 4
  • hendrickson3.JPG
    hendrickson3.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 5
i have yet to meet a fish who took me out to tea and regaled me with a discussion of the finer points of mondrian's palette choices.

Ronb, I think it will work as long as you think it will work!

GenCon

The hackle is trying to imitate the duns legs, most are in the yellow to brown range and variegated. That being said, unless you're fishing flat water the color is the least important factor, presentation and silhouette come first. It'll work,mostly, but your algebra is way off.

LOL on the algebra. That is my list of flies I want tie. I am going to give it a try....The hackles are good quality and wrap real nice. Was just disappointed I did not notice the color difference at the shop. I even took it out of the bag to check it for color and size choices.

Don't be afraid to use the feathers, I would mix it with a ginger if you have it, two colors is a good thing.

Thank You all for the replies.......Definitely going to use them. Too
good of a neck to waste

Mixing with ginger is a great suggestion. The hackle and wing color are the most critical colors on a dry fly. Looks like you have nice prominent wings there.

Except for the Delaware R. I've never met a trout that didn't like a well presented Hendrickson. They will work.

I've always used dun hackle - anywhere from dark, to medium and light shades - on my hendrickson patterns. And they always seem to work OK. Even on those fussy delaware river trout. The key up there IMO, is to keep the hackle smaller. Or clip it down, like a thorax pattern.

Your hackle appears to be dark dun, and I think it's fine

I think that's the beauty of the catskill dries, a little on stream haircut can change the orientation depending on water type. The two color is just a personal thought.

It actually is a real bluish Green color it is sort of hard to tell in the pics.

I would actually try that fly on the D. river if it were me. Show them something different when there is a blanket hatch of Hennys

I am definitely going to give it a test....Just don't want to tie too many of them if it is not going to work.

Ron - the ambient light can have a big effect on the color undertones. If you are using a fluorescent or LED light to look at the hackle, that would bring out the green. Sunlight is much 'warmer', so reddish tones would be more prominent. Look at the hackle outside, and also look up through the hackle at the light, which is what the trouts see.

What brand is that hackle? Is it dyed, or was it treated with silver nitrate?

The fly looks fine to me. Nice tie

Just so you understand how important the hackle color is....I use light or medium dun for all my flies! Other than bad casts, fish readily eat them. I have one pattern for blue quills, hendricksons, grey fox and cahills. I call it the "close enough thorax".

Back