Opinions needed on cork reel seat for 7'6" 3 weight.

KeithS

KeithS

As my previous post states, I'm looking to build this winter. Anyone using a cork reel seat on a 7'6" 3 weight that can weigh in?
I've been reading up and it seems to depend on the density of the cork. If the cork is too soft, over time it'll take a permanent set from the pressure of the reel foot, and the slip rings will not stay tightened.
I've searched all of the rod building sites and there seems to be no consensus.
I would like to build a light, sensitive rod.

I use these on lighter weight rods I build, never had an issue with them, and for 11 bucks, they are a great deal
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-rod-handle-kits/025073400007.aspx

Thanks,Biker.
That's about he only one I found.

KeithS wrote:
I've been reading up and it seems to depend on the density of the cork. If the cork is too soft, over time it'll take a permanent set from the pressure of the reel foot, and the slip rings will not stay tightened.

Here is something that is similiar that you should keep in consideration.

If you are using a premade cork seat, make sure there is a close fit between the cork and the blank. If you try to shim it with large tape arbors the cork will want to collapse if there are any cavities between the arbors when the pressure of the rings on the reel foot is applied to the cork. This will make it seem like there are "soft" spots in the cork.

The ideal situation is cork that has been reamed to fit the balnk exactly. Failing that, make sure any cavities between arbors are enitrely filled with epoxy.

Kev

Thanks, Pennkev. That thought occurred to me while thinking this out.

The plus side of a 3 wt is that there will be very little reaming to do.

I have built a few 2wts where I didn't need to sand the inside at all.

MKern, did you need to shim the butt end of the reel seat?

To the blank?

If so, then yes. Usually 3 bushing of masking tape.

Back