Ontelaunee near Reading?

jayL

jayL

All,

Last weekend, I got out to do some night drinking in the Ontelaunee spillway. I just so happened to fish a little bit while I was there, and landed some catfish that were pushing ten pounds. It was a good time, but I'm considering getting out there during daylight next time to throw some bass bugs or streamers before the cattie fishing begins.

How is the fishing in the lake near the dam? How about the spillway?

The water felt warm, so I'm assuming Maiden Creek has no trout left. I know there are some trout streams in the area that are close secrets of other posters, so I'll respect it... I could check them out, but I was kind of hoping to keep it close to the dam.

Thanks.

jay,
I used to catch everything from walleye to small mouth in the spillway with the fly rod...back then the go to fly was a weighted muddler. up the dirt road below the fall at Blue Falls was crappie and bluegill heaven. Watch though, I had a musky eat a 'gill off the line once...

Tomgamber,
Have you heard of any other musky hot spots in that area of the Maiden Creek? I'm on the hunt for musky right now, but I'm having trouble locating them. Any ideas anyone?

JayL...I had some great luck in the Tully below the spillway on my fly rod not too long ago...As far as the fishing in Lake Ontelaunee itself; I haven't had any luck near the dam.

Jay,

last summer I was up there and waded halfway around the lake, caught some largemouth, one was about 4 lb. But also hooked a musky, brought right in to my feet but it broke off before I could beach it. It was about 35inches. They say there it is a pretty good population of them there. I used to do the night fishing/drinking there as well when I was a student at KU.

Kevin

Back