One of those days

A

a23fish

I took advantage of unseasonably warm & sunny weather to hit my local trout stream. My first choice of spots already had two guys fishing it, but my second choice was unoccupied. Great, I thought. I could see about 10 - 12 trout finning about in a decent sized pool, and knew I was in for a treat. However, the trout thought otherwise.

I tried 3 different color egg patterns, 2 different color Wooly Buggers, and 3 different nymph patterns. While I did see a fish or two occasionally turn to look at what was drifting past, not a one of them bit, at least as far as I could tell. Those fish were just finning their noses at me, and after 1 hour 45 minutes of casting & mending practice, I moved on. Through two deeper pools that for some reason have not seemed to hold fish in late fall this year. I didn't expect much from those areas and was not disappointed.

On to my final spot, the first one I tried to fish. By now, those two guys were gone. And so, apparently, were the fish. Although I did see one fish, I found no willing takers on a variety of flies. Beautiful day to be out, no wind, water was clear and 40-42 degrees so my toes didn't freeze, and I basically had the stream to myself. Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

But on the plus side - I'm really reaching here - I did find a little chartreuse football float, and a 1/64 gold Trout Magnet jig head, complete with a PowerBait white/pink mouse tail lure. Just what I need.....

What do you mean by:
“I could see about 10 - 12 trout finning about in a decent sized pool,”??

Just curious what finning means.

Mostly just holding station on the edge of a rock ledge using their fins in the slow current, with a couple others slowly swimming one way or the other for short distances.

It was almost 50 here yesterday, so I too was motivated to take my pet skunk for a walk. Explored some new water, though, which was fun.

The skunk gets us all at some point. I was on Penns Friday and got skunk humbled too. But…..getting out is almost always a win!

i was out yesterday from 7-2. all i caught was a branch behind me. lost 4 flys. up, it WAS one of those days for sure.

So it wasn't just me. I will look on the bright side. I was out 4.5 hours, found (uncatchable) fish, and only lost one fly.

Back