On the Water Photography Set Ups....

M

Mike_Emanuele

Just curious to see how you guys carry your cameras and equipment while on the water. I need to devise a new way to carry my dslr without it taking a toll on my back. Also how do you guys go about taking your catch pictures? Honestly, I let go of more trout without taking a photo due to the health and safety of the fish being my priority over looking good on facebook. Just looking for some new ideas and perspectives! Thanks

I use my iPhone 6 and keep it in a Lifeproof case in the front pocket of my waders.

Using a DSLR is a little more work. I cant even imagine carrying a little digital camera let a lone anything bigger. My little digital camera never comes with me fishing because I already carry enough ****.

Id explore maybe fishing with a buddy so you could focus solely on snapping pictures that day that way youre not lugging around twice as much gear.

Let them focus on fishing, which you focus on the pictures. Be the dedicated camera man for the day.

If you are dead set on fishing and shooting pics, Id look into a large backpack style pack. I have a Simms Headwaters full day pack thatll carry a TON of extra crap. Its actually big enough Im planning on using it for a overnight camping/fishing trip this spring. The down fall of it is everything is behind you so its a little harder to access things

steveo27 wrote:
I use my iPhone 6 and keep it in a Lifeproof case in the front pocket of my waders.

Using a DSLR is a little more work. I cant even imagine carrying a little digital camera let a lone anything bigger. My little digital camera never comes with me fishing because I already carry enough ****.

Id explore maybe fishing with a buddy so you could focus solely on snapping pictures that day that way youre not lugging around twice as much gear.

Let them focus on fishing, which you focus on the pictures. Be the dedicated camera man for the day.

If you are dead set on fishing and shooting pics, Id look into a large backpack style pack. I have a Simms Headwaters full day pack thatll carry a TON of extra crap. Its actually big enough Im planning on using it for a overnight camping/fishing trip this spring. The down fall of it is everything is behind you so its a little harder to access things

Have you tested out the capability of that lifeproof case yet?

I carry a small waterproof camera, Pentax Optio. Takes great photos. I keep it tucked into on the front pocket of my waders an have it attached to a tether so I don't have to worry about loosing it. It's also nice to be able to shoot underwater photos and video. I would not want to haul my expensive DSLR around when fishing.

Nomad,

Do I trust it if I drop the phone in the middle of the creek? Not particularly. Does it work if your hands are wet or there is condensation inside your pocket? Yes. Would I take a 500$ phone swimming? Hell no!

Ive worked at a small electronics repair shop for over 5 years now. Waterproof cases arent 100% waterproof, they are water resistant though. Its just to what extent they'll keep the water out before it finds its way in.

Our main focus at work is Apple products. I see a LOT of iPhones/iPods/ect that were in a waterproof, Lifeproof, Otterbox, ect type cases that took a dip "only for a few seconds only in a little bit of water". Sometimes they are filled with water when you open them and some times they are bone dry. Generally, I they do do a good job keeping the water out though.

Long story short, if youre careful already but want a little more insurance, Id go for it. I wouldnt put a case on one and jump off the high dive into a swimming pool with it on purpose.

My iphone, with the LP case has been submerged and is no worse for wear. The trick with that case is to register it properly.

If I bother to take pics at all I just use my S5. Yeah I went with the S5 over the S6 last year because the S5 plays with water better, and my left 3 phones died underwater while fishing. Of course my S5 was baptized in a trout stream within 3 days of owning it. It was in my wader pocket, I leaned over to grab a fish and out it fell. It's been under water a few more times since then. It still works great.

Slightly further from the topic...I find it odd you care about the health of the ugly fish more than the ones that are so beautiful you want to take pics of them. They are the ones we should be protecting.

Depends on mood and goals for the day....I've got a Lifeproof case for my now old-ish iPhone, it's been submerged a couple times, no issues there. But I've never really been a fan of the phone's photo quality, comparatively speaking.

For snapshots I'll carry my Nikon Coolpix P7700 in a fishing vest pocket and leave a flybox behind. Always try to have my hand thru the wrist strap before pulling it out of said pocket to prevent an accident...yeah, I did soak its predecessor P7000 when it fell out into the Letort muck due to an open zipper. It's now a fancy paperweight. Season learned.

If photos are as much a goal as the fishing, then I just carry the DSLR (either Nikon D5100 or D7200) strapped over a shoulder so it rides off/above my hip. Also have a case for the tripod that straps across the opposite shoulder and then use a Fishpond lumbar pack for the fishing gear. Good setup when wanting to go fast and light for a couple-few hours. For longer excursions that involve a decent hike in with lunch, rain gear, etc, I've got a Lowe Pro camera specific daypack. Sport something or other model that Il also use for skiing and mtn biking. But it can be a hassle when setting up and tearing down, I take more shots if the camera is handy vs digging it out of the pack....

Caveat, I always keep an eye on the weather forecast to see if I need to bring the bigger pack if storms are expected. I'm also pretty confident in my wading skills and won't take unneeded chances if rocking the big camera and glass. Wearing waist high waders also keeps me out of trouble for the most part...

I am so sick of all you gdamn camera killers....

Just kidding

Fuji XP waterproof is best I've found. Great still photos and video.

My son drooped his very expensive new phone into a rushing creek last year. Gone.

Mostly just use an Iphone at this point. I recently purchased a DSLR, and I'm not sure about carrying it on the creek yet. Like others have said already, if that comes along, my day will be more dedicated to taking pictures than fishing.

In the past, I have carried my DSLR in an Orvis SLR camera bag. I would sling it on my shoulder then put my vest on overtop. It worked pretty well.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a Nikon D7200 and been thinking about two options to protecting the camera. The first is to continue using the Orvis SLR bag along with something like Sea to Summit dry bag. I would think this would suffice for most of my fishing except the Yough.

The second option that I am exploring is the Smith Fly modular system. I believe they have a camera bag that I think will protect the camera. I would use this, except at the Yough.

The only thing I will take to the Yough is the GoPro. Tim Flagler of TightLine Productions has an excellent video on how to use the GoPro while fishing.

Just my thoughts.......Ed

steveo27 wrote:
Nomad,

Do I trust it if I drop the phone in the middle of the creek? Not particularly. Does it work if your hands are wet or there is condensation inside your pocket? Yes. Would I take a 500$ phone swimming? Hell no!

Ive worked at a small electronics repair shop for over 5 years now. Waterproof cases arent 100% waterproof, they are water resistant though. Its just to what extent they'll keep the water out before it finds its way in.

Our main focus at work is Apple products. I see a LOT of iPhones/iPods/ect that were in a waterproof, Lifeproof, Otterbox, ect type cases that took a dip "only for a few seconds only in a little bit of water". Sometimes they are filled with water when you open them and some times they are bone dry. Generally, I they do do a good job keeping the water out though.

Long story short, if youre careful already but want a little more insurance, Id go for it. I wouldnt put a case on one and jump off the high dive into a swimming pool with it on purpose.

Thanks thats kind of what I thought. I have been considering one on the next phone I get because I am tired of putting my phone in a plastic ziploc freezer bags when its raining. I dont plan on going swimming with my phone but I dont want my phone to go swimming when I am fishing either.

Galaxy Note 4 - it's survived two years on the water so far and probably 10,000 photos. Latest pair of wading pants has a nice little flip out pocket in them and that's where the phone goes. But it's ridden in the vest or chest pack front pocket many times as well and survived some pouring rains. Or inside whatever jacket I'm wearing. The worst problem with the jacket setup is condensation from perspiration when moving around makes it foggy and damp on the camera lens and touch screen.

Prior phone was a Galaxy Note 2, and it was baptized on a small stream about a week after I bought it. Took the battery out right away and left it dry and it is still functional to this day.

I probably should try to pay attention to some sort of more waterproof setup, but I tend to just wing it most of the time.

I carry my SLR in a standard case on my chest.

I bought an extra strap and attach the straps in a criss-cross fashion, much like people do with the Richardson chest boxes, which is where I got the idea.

The straps attach with clips to the rings on the case.

That way the camera is very easily available, and it's protected in the closed case. And the weight is on your shoulders not your neck.

When taking a picture, open the case, then put the camera straps around your neck BEFORE removing the camera from the case.

When done taking pictures, put the camera back in the case, THEN remove the camera straps and tuck them in the case, then close the case.

This way you will not drop the camera. I've done it this way for decades, with a film SLR before the DSLR and never dropped a camera.

If you drop an SLR in the water the chances of wrecking it are pretty high.

I do worry about falling into a large stream and dunking it that way, but so far I've been lucky.

This system works very well and is inexpensive.

I have a waterproof nikon coolpix a100, cant imagine using something not waterproof.Pretty fun to take underwater pics too even though most of them don't turn out great occasionally you get a good one.

ryansavageapril2012077.jpg

ryansheehan wrote:
I have a waterproof nikon coolpix a100, cant imagine using something not waterproof.Pretty fun to take underwater pics too even though most of them don't turn out great occasionally you get a good one.

ryansavageapril2012077.jpg

Thats really cool.

I just gave a program to the Tulpehocken chapter on
fishing and outdoor photography. After falling into the Firehole river with a film SLR over my shoulder many years ago I carried a Nikonos waterproof camera whenever and where ever I went fishing for about 25 to 30 years. At the present time I am carrying a Pentax W90 point and shoot which has served me well. If I take my DSLRs on a float trip they are in a Pelican waterproof case. I have found that the water proof point and shoots do the job most of the time.

There are several excellent reviews on water proof point and shoots. Just Google "A Guide to Rugged and Waterproof Point and Shoot Cameras" by B&H. This is filled with more info than just a review. Also Google "Waterproof digital camera review" by PC magazine, Consumer Reports, and DPreviews. (Digital Photo Reviews) At one time these waterproof cameras were expensive. Now Nikon has a waterproof Nikon Coolpix S33 for &129. Just depends now many features you are will to go without. Also these rugged cameras can do more than just fishing photos.

If any TU Chapter or fishing organization is interested in a Photography presentation let me know.

nomad_archer wrote:
Thanks thats kind of what I thought. I have been considering one on the next phone I get because I am tired of putting my phone in a plastic ziploc freezer bags when its raining. I dont plan on going swimming with my phone but I dont want my phone to go swimming when I am fishing either.

Its definitely a nice peace of mind. Especially if you spend a ton of time outdoors or even just sweat a lot. I do alot of hunting, camping, hiking, fishing, ect. The added peace of mind is nice not having to worry about "what if..." Something as simple as a damp sweaty pockets will kill a phone. It especially nice if you get stuck in a rainstorm where you gets soaked to the bone and have no dry place to put it.

I also travel often with my Nikon AW120 camera, you can't beat the size and mental relief factor of a waterproof camera!

I recently upgraded to an iphone 7 with an IP67 water resistance rating, it lacks in overall quality but wins on convenience. I haven't tested the water resistance capability yet, but it is a relief when operating with wet hands or when wading.

When I want the highest quality though, I do travel with a dslr on some trips, typically with a small fixed focal length to help save on weight. I use the black rapid shoulder strap (crossover from shooting weddings and sports) to help take the weight of the camera off your neck.
I'd recommend one like this with the underarm safety tether to help stop the strap from sliding, just know that the camera still swings a bit and does hang near my hip, so watch your wading depths.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=831431&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5bvEBRCM6vypnc7QgMkBEiQAUZftQBF2ST8PnlB65_673uptfAt8TJYnYU45dpyQorKa-RwaAoS-8P8HAQ&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&is=REG&A=details

For what it is worth:

I've been shooting and carrying an SLR for years on the water. This includes long hikes into remote areas. The best options I have found are fully submersible hip packs or sling packs. Currently I am using the Thunderhead Sling by Fishpond http://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/thunderhead-sling/2427 . They all take a toll on your back after a long day though. The sling less so than the hip pack. I'd stay away from backpacks. Takes too long and are a pain to get the camera out. The sling and hip packs can just be spun around quickly.

If you are just looking for quick snapshots of fish, you may be better off using your phone or waterproof point and shoot as others have suggested, but these are no substitute for an SLR if you are looking to take some serious photos.

As for the fish.....keep him in the water and in the net until you are ready to push the button. I usually do not bother shooting fish photos when I'm fishing by myself. When fishing with someone else, we are usually only running one rod at a time. That makes it easy to have one guy keep the fish in the water until you are ready for the photo.

Back