on line fly tying materials

A

atticus

Looking for recommendations for on line fly tying materials, taking into account prices and service.

Fly Fish Food - store.flyfishfood.com
Check out the Tackle Shack in Wellsboro. I'm not sure what online presence they have, but I got some materials for sculpins pretty fast.

Mossy Creek Fly Fishing

Dakota Angler.

J Stockard (jsflyfishing) excellent selection and service, decent prices

Holsinger's Fly Shop has good prices and shipping.

Wholesale Fly Co in Pottsville Pa. Great prices on hooks, beads and many other products.

I know some might not like this suggestion, but you can find great fly tying materials at a very reasonable price on Ebay. Use the Search function on Ebay for UserID's and look for seller "djkelly1973" who is out of Taylor, PA. They have 12,447+ feedbacks, have a wide variety of items and offer excellent service.

For hooks, I really like Green Caddis Outfitters (gcoutfitters.com).

Note that some shops have lowered their shipping prices, FFP being a good example. For hooks I like ebay store hardydeluxe out of Canada. There are many private label hooks of excellent quality on eBay and various online shops.

Generally, if it is just regular stuff, particularly trout stuff, I try to stay somewhat local with FishUsa or at least in PA with Flyfisher's Paradise when I order online.

But for selection and particularly for warmwater materials, I think its hard to beat Feathercraft in Saint Louis They have a lot of warmwater stuff I see in very few other places.

Some of their prices are a little steep, but most are in line with the run of the industry.

It depends on what you are looking for...

Basic stuff, especially synthetics I get from whoever has the best total price but know what you want BEFORE shopping. It is the same thing as NOT going food shopping when you are hungry…you buy stuff you don’t need or don't know if you will like, until you get it home.

The best thing I ever did with fly tying was to spend the time to research and choose specific brands, types and materials to use. Once I make my choice, I won’t deviate so I only shop for those specific items, strictly on price. I also believe in stocking up on certain things I like or in certain colors because they have a tendency to be discontinued if you want more in a few years.

The hard stuff is natural materials, especially feathers, necks or hair. Not all tying materials are good just because someone packaged it to be sold in a fly shop.

When I have no other choice but to buy that stuff online, I like to do business with a shop owned by someone who I trust who is also a well-known and respected fly tyer. Someone who won't just grab a package off a hook and throw it in a box to fill an order. Unfortunately, these days that isn’t many places.

However...

If I need a neck, I will call Joe Fox at Dette Flies and tell him what I am after.

Whitetail Fly Tying was my source for hair and ton of other stuff when Chris Helm was still alive. However, I imagine some of his legacy and knowledge rubbed off on the new owners.

Good luck!

I'm a fan of Beaverkill Angler for snowshoe feet and a few other items I use regularly.
I also like Dette flies and Performance flies.

https://detteflies.com/

https://www.feather-craft.com/

https://www.captainhookswarehouse.com/

https://jimsflyco.com/default.aspx

I made a few orders with Lively Legz and got delivery within 2-3 days of ordering. Free shipping on orders of $50+.

Fly Tyers Dungeon has some great stuff at low prices, however not name brand stuff. I use a lot of the dubbings in my nymphs.

Bobbop89 wrote:
Holsinger's Fly Shop has good prices and shipping.

+1 on Holsinger’s Fly Shop. They have a pretty decent selection for a small shop. The prices are reasonable and great turn around time on shipping.

+2 on Holsingers. I used to go to their shop for supplies before the pandemic. Super fast shipping though, and great folks. Good prices and a good selection. I try to order everything through them to support local.

All good so far. Another PA place I like is Hook and Hackle. I use them for rod building and their lines are good at a lower price as well.

Just got an order in from Fly Tiers Dungeon and was very satisfied. Their selection is limited to dubbings, and a variety of synthetic materials (hairs, dubbing, flash etc.)

The prices are very good and the quality is good also. Anyone who is into tying dries or streamers with synthetics should give them a look. Excellent selection of colors too.

Back