Oliver Kite Video

Beweav

Beweav

I was reading a book I just bought called "Fishing Flies" by Robert Atkinson. Here has a page with two flies tied by Oliver Kite. Evidently they are the only flies he would use, a dry fly and a nymph. It mentioned that he was a "broadcaster" so I looked his name up on youtube and found this video. It is very interesting on a lot of levels. I thought I'd share it here if anyone is interested.

IMG 9008

He was very well known in England, and is often considered the father of modern reservoir fishing there. (It's a lot easier to get access to reservoirs than to rivers over there.)

It certainly seems like a gentler time.

Oliver Kite brings back a lot of memories for me, I grew up in Hampshire and he was featured a lot on local TV when the TV company Southern still made Local shows.

Check out You Tube for Jack Hargreaves, another Country gent from a bygone age on the highways and byways of Hampshire, a show called Out of Town was on a Friday evening at 7 and watching it was the only reason to be late getting to the pub on a Friday night.

He was very well known in England, and is often considered the father of modern reservoir fishing there. (It's a lot easier to get access to reservoirs than to rivers over there.)

I was wondering why they were always fishing lakes on the fulling mill YT channel

I was wondering why they were always fishing lakes on the fulling mill YT channel
Quite expensive to get tickets on rivers. All... well, about 99% of rivers are all privately owned in some form or another. Lake or "Lough" fishing is far more affordable and accessible.

Quite expensive to get tickets on rivers. All... well, about 99% of rivers are all privately owned in some form or another. Lake or "Lough" fishing is far more affordable and accessible.

Wow, that sounds terrible. You need a ticket to fish a river? Thats crazy that all the land surrounding the rivers is privately owned. I really enjoy rivers. God Bless America. It aint perfect but its certainly better than that!

Wow, that sounds terrible. You need a ticket to fish a river? Thats crazy that all the land surrounding the rivers is privately owned. I really enjoy rivers. God Bless America. It aint perfect but its certainly better than that!
Yes and no. Day tickets on some rivers are quite reasonable, less than you'd pay for gas to get there. Others are club waters, and you may only spend 100 pounds or less for a year's membership, and have a choice of several rivers to fish. The upside to this is that the rivers are far less pressured than anything around here, and you can get a "beat" to yourself for the day. There's no "combat fishing" even on opening day. The rivers are also well managed, with a river keeper doing bank and weed maintenance.

OTOH, some rivers are very expensive -- you might pay 1,000 pounds per day on the Test during Mayfly (our green drake) season.

There are also a few free-to-fish sections of some rivers, usually in cities.

There is a section of the Itchen that is free in Winchester, it parallels a walking path which is very scenic. I've fished it a couple of times. Loaded with Grayling!

Back