Older Scott Rods and Ross Reels

R

riverwhy

My buddy had a garage fire and lost all his fishing gear. He is looking to restock and has someone offering him a deal on some rods, reels and flies. I know some of you are very knowledgeable so I thought I would provide some info and run it by the forum.

Scott STS 906/4 (6 weight)
Scott S3905/4 (5 weight)
Scott SAS804/3 (4 weight)

Ross G3
Ross G1
Tioga 4 weight

He also is offering 8 boxes filled with flies.

Rods 800
Reels 510
Flies 400
Total 1,710

I guess the big questions are:
How good are the rods compared to cheaper rods today?
How well will the reels hold up and are there replacement parts available?

He has three sons who lost rods also. Is he better off just getting one rod for himself and buying Redingtons or something similar for his kids?

I greatly appreciate the expertise any of you can provide!

Dear riverwhy,

I have three Ross reels, all are over 30 years old and none of them have given me any problems. The oldest one is a G3 in the original gun metal finish. If the reels have usable lines on them, I think the price is pretty fair. Maybe he will take $ 450.00 for the reels, assuming they have lines on them? Without seeing them Ross Gunnisons typically sell for $ 150.00 and more on Ebay. The older gun metal ones often bring well over $ 200.00 which is more than their new price. The older Ross reels seem to be approaching collectible status. The Teton Tioga reel was very popular back in it's day. They sold for around $ 150.00 new give or take a couple of bucks depending on the size of the reel.

I have a Scott STS 906-4 piece rod that I really like. Some people don't care for the spigot ferrules, but I don't even notice them myself. It's an older rod, the same vintage as my Ross reels, but it still fishes just fine and will continue to do so as long as I don't do anything stupid like break it. It was regarded as a fast rod back then, how that stacks up in today's world I cannot say. If I remember correctly the rod retailed in the $ 450.00 range back then making it a premium priced rod.

The flies are harder to judge as far as value goes. If they are flies your friend uses, then depending on how many flies are being offered they may be a decent deal. What kind of boxes are they in? The boxes have a value too.

One thing your friend needs to keep in mind is that if the seller were to sell these items individually, he would lose out on the convenience factor of just handing them over for cash. The Ebay fees and shipping would easily be $ 25.00 or more per rod, and close to $ 20.00 for each reel. Selling everything on Ebay would probably cost the seller over $ 200.00 in fees and shipping when all was said and done.

I'm thinking if that the seller might be inclined to accept $ 1500.00 and maybe even $ 1400.00 for everything.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks so much Tim! Great info in helping him decide. I should mention the G3 has a spare with a sinking tip. Also, there are three clear boxes and three that are plastic that have the foam backing, one side with the ridges and one side without. The Ross reels are not the gunmetal variety.

I'm going to give my nephews a good feeding on the golf course but I'll give you a long winded post when I get back home

As someone who is getting rid of my old stuff, the single offer is enticing. Sure, you can make more money piecing it out, but it takes time and effort. I would really love to have found someone to buy it all, but couldn't and have been an Ebay guy for months. IMHO, reels aren't bad to ship - rods are a PITA. In my experience the used fly tackle, especially collectible stuff, is a bit soft since there are plenty of us old guys downsizing. The newer usable stuff is holding up OK, but the more you go towards collectible the softer it gets. Us Baby Boomers bought a lot of stuff many of us are now unloading. Of course, it still fishes great, but younger buyers generally look for the new hot thing IMHO.

Just curious so I checked what those items have sold for on Ebay recently, as good a read on the market as you can get.
G3 $125 - $250, most about $200
G1 $91 - $215, most about $150
Teton $66 - $115

Scott STS 906 $230 - $640, most about $250, $640 seemed a unicorn.
Scott S3905 - couldn't find
Scott SAS 804 - one at $202

I've gotten my best prices on Ebay for what it is worth - larger buyer base.

I'd offer $700 - $750 for the rods and skip the rest. He can find deals on line / reels.

If warranty means a lot to him, Scott typically isn't very flexible. Covers initial owner only. TBH, most manufacturers subscribe to the same.

Those 3 rods are pretty different but good. To compare 3 current sage models that might be fairly compatible to the Scott models:
Sage foundation 490-4, $495
Sage sonic 590-4, $675
Sage foundation 690-4, $495
More than double what the other dude is asking but these aren't 10+ years old and have warranty coverage for what it's worth.

Other option that would be much cheaper....
Redington CT 486-4, <$209
Grey's Lance 590-4, $220
Taylor Dynamic 690-4, $200

Couple clicker reels, one disc drag reel and you're back in business.

I'd offer $700 - $750 for the rods and skip the rest. He can find deals on line / reels.

If warranty means a lot to him, Scott typically isn't very flexible. Covers initial owner only. TBH, most manufacturers subscribe to the same.

Those 3 rods are pretty different but good. To compare 3 current sage models that might be fairly compatible to the Scott models:
Sage foundation 490-4, $495
Sage sonic 590-4, $675
Sage foundation 690-4, $495
More than double what the other dude is asking but these aren't 10+ years old and have warranty coverage for what it's worth.

Grey's Lance 590-4, $220

Couple clicker reels, one disc drag reel and you're back in business.
This is on point.
I can't comment on the rod comparisons like you but he could buy flies and find good reels for cheaper.

Grey's Lance 590-4, $220
How similar is the Lance to an Aetos?

Aetos and the grey's GR60 might have been the same blank. The Lance is the 'newer and improved ' version of GR60.

Thanks. A Greys at that price point seemed like it was likely a parallel product line.

Thank you so much for all the input! You all brought up a number of considerations. I think you confirmed our concerns on the reels at least at the price this guy is asking. On the other hand, there is the argument that these are complete outfits which I assume are well matched. Seems a shame to pull them apart though they might not be ready to fish if the lines are worn. Also, the flies look really nice although there doesn't seem to be many streamers. The boxes are really stuffed with dries, wets, nymphs, and terrestrials. I think there must be over 500 flies maybe 600.

Thank you so much for all the input! You all brought up a number of considerations. I think you confirmed our concerns on the reels at least at the price this guy is asking. On the other hand, there is the argument that these are complete outfits which I assume are well matched. Seems a shame to pull them apart though they might not be ready to fish if the lines are worn. Also, the flies look really nice although there doesn't seem to be many streamers. The boxes are really stuffed with dries, wets, nymphs, and terrestrials. I think there must be over 500 flies maybe 600.
Funny enough, I have a bunch of streamers I'm looking to sell. The majority of which are high quality never used flies. I was going to be listing them for sale next week so I gathered them together, took pics and a general inventory.

It's 144 total flies, the vast majority are articulated, either 2 or 3 hook.
Sex Dungeons, Circus Peanuts, Half and Half's, Butt Monkeys, Drunk and Disorderly, Great Lakes Deceivers, Double Deceivers.
They all come in two Plano FTO Elite Boxes w Foam added and 1 C&F Design Box.

Honestly they would make a great boat boxes or general store at home meat lockers.

Obviously these are kind of expensive, as articulated flies are time consuming and material heavy but I'm shifting gears in my fishing habits even more and won't be using them.

I'd make him a deal if interested and I could save on shipping to a PA guy or even just hand them over and avoid shipping altogether.
Plus I feel his pain of a total loss of equipment.
It has to suck.

Let me gather a few pics, you can show him and see if he is interested and maybe we can work something out

My buddy had a garage fire and lost all his fishing gear. He is looking to restock and has someone offering him a deal on some rods, reels and flies. I know some of you are very knowledgeable so I thought I would provide some info and run it by the forum.

Scott STS 906/4 (6 weight)
Scott S3905/4 (5 weight)
Scott SAS804/3 (4 weight)

Ross G3
Ross G1
Tioga 4 weight

He also is offering 8 boxes filled with flies.

Rods 800
Reels 510
Flies 400
Total 1,710

I guess the big questions are:
How good are the rods compared to cheaper rods today?
How well will the reels hold up and are there replacement parts available?

He has three sons who lost rods also. Is he better off just getting one rod for himself and buying Redingtons or something similar for his kids?

I greatly appreciate the expertise any of you can provide!
sorry it took me a bit. Here is the offering I have of streamer flies. This is just a general overview of all the flies offered and the boxes. I have more up close pictures if you need them. Again these are all well tied flies, the majority of which have never been used (probably 95 percent of them have never seen water. Its 144 total flies. I would be willing to make your friend a good deal on them, as I said, Im not using them and I understand his anguish of losing everything he had.

If he is interested let me know and we can take it to PM and exchange numbers. Just let me know, if not Ill be listing these elsewhere in the next week.

Attachments

• DSC00856.JPG
    DSC00856.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00875.JPG
    DSC00875.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC00881.JPG
    DSC00881.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00888.JPG
    DSC00888.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00889.JPG
    DSC00889.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00890.JPG
    DSC00890.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00891.JPG
    DSC00891.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 17
sorry it took me a bit. Here is the offering I have of streamer flies. This is just a general overview of all the flies offered and the boxes. I have more up close pictures if you need them. Again these are all well tied flies, the majority of which have never been used (probably 95 percent of them have never seen water. Its 144 total flies. I would be willing to make your friend a good deal on them, as I said, Im not using them and I understand his anguish of losing everything he had.

If he is interested let me know and we can take it to PM and exchange numbers. Just let me know, if not Ill be listing these elsewhere in the next week.

Attachments

• DSC00892.JPG
    DSC00892.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00893.JPG
    DSC00893.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 12
Hi riverwhy. I am new to this forum but I would like to help your friend out. I have 3 large boxes full of flys - mostly clousers, woolybuggers and some thunder creek bucktails . I would be happy to send them to you free of charge; if you’d like I could send some pictures.

Back