Older Orvis Reels

Weible1

Weible1

Just curious guys but if you were to be purchasing these reels how much would you pay. Even if they are not reels you would desire try to put a hypothetical number. The two are Orvis CFO III, and the last one is a Battenkill with an extra spool. They all are 5 weights. Thanks guys

Attachments

• DSC_0315 (2).JPG
    DSC_0315 (2).JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 9
depends on condition and if the CFOs are english (hardy) made

my guess

the CFOs- 150+
battenkill 75-100

are you selling or buying?
you could probably find them for the lower end with enough digging

Here are a few more pictures...

Attachments

• DSC_0308.JPG
    DSC_0308.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0310.JPG
    DSC_0310.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0311.JPG
    DSC_0311.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 4
Weibs,

Is that CFO made in England?

I just bought them, and I am waiting for them to get here. I have been doing some research and I think both the CFO's are made in England. I am not 100% sure but I hope they were haha.

With CFOs it depends if they're click-pawl reels or disc drag- the click-pawl reels go for more money, typically around $50-$75 more.

well you have to understand that I bought all three of those reels for under $125. I am just trying to figure out what they are worth and how well I did on the purchase. I have been comparing them and I think they could possibly be made by hardy, so early 1980's I think.

Well, you cleaned up. The CFOs usually run about $150 for the disc drag models, and $225 for the click -pawl models. The smallest one- the click-pawl CFO II- usually gets even more than that.

Your Battenkill is an English-made BFR. They're fairly common reels that were sold under several different brand names. The Orvis is worth the most, just because of the name plate. $75 is about right.

Several different reels have been labeled by Orvis as Battenkills- a "lightweight" magnesium frame click-pawl model by Hardy; a sturdy click-pawl model by J. W. Young that's identical to one of the better year classes of its Beaudex model, which is my personal favorite; a completely different frame model of "lightweight" single-pawl reel by J. W. Young; the BFRs; and some other reels after that.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that your CFOs are by Hardy. If you have pictures of the frame side, I could give you more info on them.

I will put some more up as soon as they get to me. They are in the mail as we speak. I am really glad to get them for such an awesome price. The pictures I put up are the ones that the gentleman sent to me.

Love my old Orvis CFO reels. Many, many miles on them. Enjoy.

I am glad to hear that. I was considering selling them, but after I spoke to the older man on the phone I think I have changed my mind. He seemed to really want someone younger to get the joy out of them that he got.

Way back when, I paid a whopping $45 for my brand new CFO II reel. Put a Cortland 444 line on it (still have the line and it floats well), and hung it on my newly begotten Orvis bamboo flea rod. I was happy as a pig in ****.

Haha that is incredible. I paid that much for each of the cfo's I got, and they came with royal wulff triangle taper! I really couldn't be any happier. It's a step up from my beat orvis clearwater real!

Back