Old to the area, getting back to the fly.

F

FlyGuyGlen

Hi folks!

Been in the Perkasie area (Bucks County) for about 8 years now, and am looking to get back into the groove of throwing the fly. Learned and fished for a while about 15 or so years ago in Florida. Then between moving, marriage, college, and kids, fell out of it until recently.

Anyone have some suggestions of where in the area would be best to get out, shake off the rust, and dip some line? Even if it's just an open field I with plenty of space to get my cast back in shape! Help appreciated, and looking forward to getting back out there and enjoying the cool water and calm casts!

Glen

Welcome to our online forum community and welcome back to fly fishing Glen. Feel free to ask questions about fly fishing (FFing) here on the Beginner's forum and perhaps take some time to read through some of the old posts.

As far as where to go, you're on the right track to get out on the lawn and practice casting. For fishing spots, click on the Where to Fly Fish link on the upper right side of this page - it's a good place to start. Some folks are tight lipped about fishing spots, especially in southeast PA (SEPA).

Read through the Reports forum and you can search by stream names and by county and see what folks are catching or seeing. We have a large community of FFers in SEPA.

Finally, don't rule out FFing for species other than trout. In a few weeks there should be great FFing for sunfish along lake and pond shorelines and there are several state parks in SEPA with good lakes to explore for bluegills.
Enjoy.
Best,
Dave

Thanks Dave! Appreciate the reply! I've been reading through quite a few threads the last couple days. There is definitely a WEALTH of information at hand here!

I'm looking forward to getting back, and hopefully getting my girls into it when the get a little older! As far as spots are concerned, I guess I should clarify my request a bit. :lol: After looking at the "where to fly fish" page, it seems like a fair number of the streams in my general area, along the larger lakes (Nockamixon, Galena) and their feeders aren't on there. I was more wondering if I'd be wasting my time trying locations such as these, of if the concept of just getting out, casting a fly, and enjoying the return to nature is better.

Thanks again!

FlyGuyGlen wrote:
I was more wondering if I'd be wasting my time trying locations such as these, of if the concept of just getting out, casting a fly, and enjoying the return to nature is better.

No, you're definitely not wasting your time.

The Where to Fly Fish link deals mainly with trout streams that are under special regulations. There are a lot more places to fish, including many warm water locations such as Nockamixon.

Since you are in Perkasie I know they stock the east branch around Sellersville in the fall (maybe spring? not sure but I don't think so). That should be a very short drive for ya! Regardless of when they stock it, there are plenty of smallmouth, rock bass, and some largemouth to shake off the rust and get your line wet really close by. The Unami isn't far from you either, and I've always loved bass fishing there.

If your talking strictly trout, then I'd just drive up to the lil lehigh - it's a straight shot N309 till you hit allentown. Easy driving and a great creek, pretty much year round.

jacob wrote:
Since you are in Perkasie I know they stock the east branch around Sellersville in the fall (maybe spring? not sure but I don't think so). That should be a very short drive for ya! Regardless of when they stock it, there are plenty of smallmouth, rock bass, and some largemouth to shake off the rust and get your line wet really close by. The Unami isn't far from you either, and I've always loved bass fishing there.

If your talking strictly trout, then I'd just drive up to the lil lehigh - it's a straight shot N309 till you hit allentown. Easy driving and a great creek, pretty much year round.

According to the trout stocking info AFish posted the other day, it's slated to be stocked three times in the spring and once in the fall. Pretty stoked for that.

Awesome to hear that! I used to live in hatfield and fish it pretty often. For some reason I thought they only did a fall stocking there, but good thing I was mistaken!

Looking to get out on Sunday and do a little fishing in the SEPA (Bucks/Montco/Lehigh Co) area. Anybody want to meet up, and maybe help with some pointers to get me back into the groove?

Thanks!

Back