Old Time fishin

sandfly

sandfly

Dug out an old Boo rod with a automatic reel and silk line to play with..Tied these up for pine next week..

now that's what i'm talkin' about!!!!

what do you call the claret and guinea fowl number there?

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman

A Fly
no names was just playin at the vise..

Sandfly, will you fish them as a "cast"? I think that's what they used to call them when they had three wet flies swinging in the current?

Did I hear you indicate once that you are on Rt 6 near Ansonia? If so, have you heard if there will be any fish planted in Lyman Lake &/or Lyman Run this year. I stoppe dteh other week to see how it was filling and there were quite a few people doing the same thing.

Sandflea has to resort to "Old time fishen" he can't catch em on modern tackle or when he can't cut the fly off of your tippet and steal it.

RustyRat wrote:
Sandfly, will you fish them as a "cast"? I think that's what they used to call them when they had three wet flies swinging in the current?

Or was it a "brace" of wet flies?

I'm not sure Jack. I remember as a kid sitting around the barbershop and some of the old regulars would talk about flies and how they fished a bunch at one time and called it a cast of wets. I've heard several discriptions but maybe they had the wrong term for it.

Brace would make more sense than cast. Seems like they already used that word.

I fish two flies at a time and I have all kinds of bad words for things that happen to my tippet.

Both-but cast was what I remember most-brace usually used for pheasant etc.
Back in the good ol days when we used spikes and rubberized canvas waders.
Men were men swinging those greenheart and hickory rods and not that sissy bamboo stuff.

>>Back in the good ol days when we used spikes and rubberized canvas waders.
Men were men swinging those greenheart and hickory rods and not that sissy bamboo stuff.>>

Yup, at least those who weren't laid low by tuberculosis or were heart attacks waiting to happen due to unchecked gum disease..

These were the days alright...:)

I'm not that old-
I am even post steel rods-lol

I will be fishing a cast of flies, I tied up a couple hard nylon leaders for it..As for Lyman it was stocked..some nice fish have been caught this year.

i would like to make it clear that i was not stocked this year,or any year i can remember.

but seriously,i thought they no longer stocked lyman run due to a native brookie enhancement program.i would guess lyman lake is stocked.

another thing ,i always call a group of wet flies a cast.as in "three flies to a cast."
i have heard some cane rodders use "brace of flies,"as one might say "brace of hounds,"but they're usually being pretentious.
brace usually means a pair ,but some people use it for more than two.i have even heard cane rodders say"a brace of socks."they'll work it into anything,hehe

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman

Always glad to learn a few things from old timers such as yourself Mr. Sandfly. :-D First glance I thought you were getting into those MOM flies.

I've been tyin some mom flies lately not getting fanatical though..are you still fishin that pickled worm you've been using for years

Na, gave up on worms the grounds to hard right now. Like that power bait stuff- lots of purdy colors. :-D

when you gonna tie a realistic power bait fly ??

Won't need any for a while Montana in Sept, then back to the Amazon in Nov. built a sweet 9wt for them.

Back