old gear question

B

buckbarrett

Recently I came into possession of an old reel from Horrocks-Ibbotson called "National Sportsman". I know this item isnt an expensive collectible, I dont care, I like the history of it in my hands. Does any one know the date of it. Its a solid bakelite contraption, ( created in 1909) that will live forever. I know theres an old catalogue, but for now I'm only interested in this one item, so am too cheap to buy the book. Anyone?
Also, I am looking for the matching rod called the "National Sportsman" 9', or any of the 9' rods sold by Horrocks-Ibbotson 9' if anyone has one to barter or sell at a reasonable price.

No one??? Have I been kicked out of the clan?

Nope, you're still welcome part of the crew. I just don't know that anybody has any idea...

Here is the Spec's on the Rod. I have no info on the reel
The Nat’l Sportsman 1930’s
Original price: 7.00,
Reel Seat: Nickel-Plated Brass with cap and ring
Grip: 6” Sturgis
Striper, Snakes and Tip Top are all Chrome plated,
Ferrules: Nickel-Plated Brass Rolled welt
Wraps Main Color; Red #10
Trim: Green #24

Joe E

Thanks LayL, Tomgambler, JoeE. I know of that rod for sale, its just a little high for a poor musician at the moment. I'm still on the hunt. I did a bit of research on the company and found it an interesting piece of American history. I encourage you to make your own search for a piece of americana fly gear. Its not as fun as FF but it is interesting. Thanks for your response.

Buck
If you want to find details on your reel and possibly the rod you are looking for post your info on this forum
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/.
There are some really nice guys that can probably answer your questions here...
Bill

Pafish I checked that site out. I didnt find what I was looking for, but can see it as a value site for the future. Thanks. Good site!

Back