Old flip-down "chest pack" fly box?

Wildfish

Wildfish

Have you guys seen these? I was given one recently and don't know what to make of it. It looks kind of like an old camera. Just three fold down metal fly boxes with flip-out lids on cloth straps. Also has a magnifying glass. It's kind of awesome, but I've never seen anyone wear one on a stream. I'll have to start. Will post a pic if my description isn't clear, but does anyone use these?

Is it a Richardson?

If so, they are semi famous, and get rave reviews. They're just prohibitively expensive, at least for me right now.

Yep--that's it. Just older. A little rust on the clasps, but not much. It's pretty great. Just need to fill it up.

When I started fly fishing, all of my buddies used these chest boxes - if they could afford them. Then a cheaper.plastic version came along - a brand called Downs. I tried their boxes on several times - and just honestly thought I'd never want to fish with those things sitting on my chest. Especially on a small brookie stream

I own a downs and use it all of the time.

I own all of the accessories too, which makes it a lot better. Hille's just developed a new backpack and side poches which are ten fold better than the original style (own them two).
I have 9 or 10 trays (which is too many). So I bought a second bracket so I geuss I have two downs boxes.

Brookie streams I just carry a small fly box, so no need for it there.

Wildfish,
Chest fly boxes that you describe have been around for years. I'm still wearing a Downs box I purchased over 25 years ago. They seem to have fallen out of favor with some of the newer generation of FFrs, perhaps because there are so many chest pack systems available now.

Chest boxes are ill, yo!
-Dave

For those of us not pretending to be a ghetto thug. Is "ill" good or bad?

Ah, kind of like the seventies when "bad" meant "good". I thought the fact that they call it a "fly" box was enough to make it clear that it was a positive reference.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fly

They look like a quality chest pack, but I think I'd feel a little bit like this guy wearing it:

image3044233x.jpg

Tick, tick, tick...

I had a friend give me one a few years ago. I like it a lot except for the fact I couldn't see were I was stepping. Plus I still wore a vest with a few things in it, granted the vest wasn't heavy anymore.Still had somethings I needed to carry. I've tried them all, never could get use to any of them, for one reason or another!

PaulG

Here are some pics of the Down's. Holds a million flies.

I do not like the way it sits on my chest and it is hard to see your feet. With all the room in these types of boxes why would you need a vest?

Like my Simms G3 vest- the Downs box is collecting dust.

I would rather have them collect dust with the thought that I may someday use them again than sell them for $50.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    644.1 KB · Views: 2
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 4
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 4
How do you guys who don't wear a vest carry your Scotch and cigars?
I love my Downstream, but I'd trade it in on a Richardson in a second. Sounds like you were given a nice box.

-Dave

Attachments

• chestbox1.jpg
    chestbox1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 3
I have a flask and a zip lock bag that goes in the inside pocket of my waders. I use a chest/fanny pack. All chest packs are too high profile to be perfect. But I like the versatility. I have a Fishpond Waterdance (I think). There is room for a flask in there too.

delkins wrote:
How do you guys who don't wear a vest carry your Scotch and cigars?

What a typical elitist fly fisherman thing to say! ;-)

I have more lighters and matches in my fishing vest than I have strike indicators!

I wore a vest for a lot of years, it held all my stuff, but gave me a sore back. I now use a chest/pack with side pouches, and it holds all my stuff, and no sore back anymore. I wouldn't trade my chest/pack for anything.

I use my CP all the time and can find all my stuff in it with my eyes closed. Every time I try to travel light and leave my CP behind and stuff my pockets with some tippet and a box of flies, I either don't have something I need, a superhatch starts and the flies I need to match it are in the truck, I stay out longer than I planned and have a hunger attack or die of thirst (can't carry water or food), it pours (can't carry a raincoat), I get lost (compass attached), or my wife #OOPS#es at me because I'm late (watch attached).

CP's are ill, IMO.

Thanks for all the replies. Here are some pics of the box. Can anyone ID it?

PS Bonus points if you can ID the book they're sitting on. Any Frankfurt readers here??

Attachments

• IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcades_Project

the box is cool. I'd be afraid to use it...it looks old.

Wildfish wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Here are some pics of the box. Can anyone ID it?

It's a Richardson box, as others have said. Load it up with flies and enjoy. If you ever in Bellefonte to fish Spring Creek, you might stop by the address on their website and see if Carl or Bob are around, and they could tell you when it was made. And they have parts and accessories, etc.

I'm not sure, but I think from its appearance that it was probably made by Carl and Bob after they took over the business when Mr. Richardson died in 1995 at age 80. I'll go out on a limb and say that it was made between 1996 and 2000. But Carl and Bob could tell you for sure.

They still make the boxes. They are still pretty popular in central PA and they are an interesting part of the PA flyfishing legacy and quite a piece of craftmanship. Some of the guys around here wear a big Orvis vest stuffed with flies AND a 5-tray Richardson box. They're carrying more flies than some rural fly shops.

Back