Old Fiberglass fly rod

birdog

birdog

I have an old fiberglass fly rod. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it.

It is a Shakespeare Wonderod, the glass is white with copper/brown wraps and black thread.

It's marked: Presidential
No. P 1280T - 7'9"
IAF

Thanks!

The "T" in 1280T stood for "trout". (They also made a 1280B, for bass.)

It was rated for an HDH line, which is usually translated into modern line sizes a a DT6, but many people prefer it with a 5 weight and consider it to be a dry fly rod.

The 1280T was made from 1951-1959.

"IAF" is probably a code for the date when it was made, but it doesn't line up with the info on this page.

Bob,
Thanks for the information!

Any idea on worth? I have a person interested in it after hearing about it.

Somewhere in the $50-$100 dollar range. They made a lot of them, but this is one of the more desirable models, so it would probably be in the high end of that range. (Maybe even slightly more.)

I wouldn't of thought it'd bring that much. Wow.

Thanks again, I appreciate all your help!

That was my first nice fly rod and one of the best rods in the 60's. I don't remember what weight lines I used. I still have the Rod but haven't fished with for years.

The guy who wanted it went and purchased a new Butterstick. So, I may fish it sometime or hang it on the wall. It is a real good looking rod!

Fish it ! They're fun!

I have an old Pflueger Medalist with a 6 wt. on it somewhere, they might be a good match.

shakey wrote:
Fish it ! They're fun!

Agreed! I sold my Eagle Claw 6'6" small stream rod a few years back due to lack of use. Big mistake! I recently purchased another one so I can get back in the small stream "brookie game". I'm just hunting a Pflueger 1492 to make it complete. Glass is fun!

wgmiller wrote:
shakey wrote:
Fish it ! They're fun!

Agreed! I sold my Eagle Claw 6'6" small stream rod a few years back due to lack of use. Big mistake! I recently purchased another one so I can get back in the small stream "brookie game". I'm just hunting a Pflueger 1492 to make it complete. Glass is fun!

I have a 1492 AK I would be willing to let go of.

IMG_2235.png
[/url][/img]

NewSal,

I replied to your PM. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Wonderods are well worth fishing. Please use it!

I love to fish Wonderods, especially the lighter 7' and 7'6" models.

Recently, just by pure luck I bought a very desirable 6'6" model from 1968 on Eb*y in great condition including original tube and sack .... newly listed with a "buy it now" for less than $40 including shipping !!

Back