Okuma products?

V

VTPAangler

Does anyone have any experience with Okuma rods and/or reels? I'm looking to get a new set up and was wondering about the quality of Okuma products.

My trout spinning rod is an Okuma. It only gets used maybe once a year, but it does a pretty good job. I used to spin fish exclusively with quality gear, and I'd say the Okuma is comparable.

As for fly gear, I've fished Okuma Sierra reels for years. They run about $40 and take an absolute beating. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Bottom line to me:

For a CHEAP yet VERY GOOD fly reel, go with an Okuma or a Cabela's prestige plus.

I have a large arbor graphite that has been serving me well. Not fancy or pretty, but functional.

okuma reels arent bad. another good cheaper product is the orvis clearwater classic reel. it is a bit heavy but it served me well before i got my battenkill. cabelas prestige arent bad either......find something with a good drag system and it will serve u well. i cant speak for thier rods though.

I have 2 Okuma SLV reels. I use the 4/5 on my 5 weight and the 5/6 on my 6 weight. I also have an Okuma Guide Select 4 peice 9 foot 5 wieght rod. I'm happy with all this equipment, especially the reels.

I have 2 Okuma reels and my brother and dad both have them too and we like them very much. For their price and fishing smaller streams you don't need a big fancy real. Now if I was fishing for bass on the Susquehanna then I'd maybe get something better.

Okuma makes good reels at a decent price. Other companies have also put out some good products as well. One thing I'll say about a fly reel is to check out the drag and keep in mind the species of fish you're targeting.

I have never used their rods.

I have used the OKUMA AF 7/9 ( air frame -- now named CASCADE ) as a backup reel on a 9 wt St. Croix rod I use during salmon season...........It worked pretty darn good............my friend has one and uses it as his main reel for our annual salmon trip..........I just purchased an OKUMA VASHON 78...........looks nice and I got a great deal on EBAY......both reels are light..........and have pretty good looks......
AF retails for about 40 bucks.........the Vashon retails for about 119 bucks..............( ebay= AF for about 25 bucks----VASHON sells for about 79 bucks----I got lucky and paid 27 bucks for my Vashon........that is a sweet deal............)

A cheap american made reel with a great drag system is the Fly Logic FLP series of reels.............I use the FLP 567 for salmon and steelies..........lots of backing capacity with a 7 wt line......I have landed some hefty salmon on this reel...........great drag!!!!
You can find the logic reels on EBay for a nice price.........the fly fishing shop..........

good luck with whatever reel you choose.......................won't go wrong with any of the above...........and they won't break the bank!!!!!

If it is between an Okuma and an Orvis Clearwater, I'd probably opt for the clearwater or the slightly more expensive Orvis Rocky Mountain which has very nice pick up. I have smacked these reels against big rocks and they still perform extremely well. -- My clearwater is very, very old.

I have 2 okuma reels which I like very much. I have the Airframe for my steelhead rod (8 wt) which has held up surprising well and performed well for me, and I have a magnitude which I got for a 4 wt (only because it was cheap and very light). My reel only holds my line as far as I'm concerned, unless you're going for steel or saltwater, then drag becomes a factor. Both mine work well for their intended usage.

I use a okuma magnitude 4/5 wt.Its a little more expensive than the models mentioned but far surperior.I pair it up with a redington redfly II 7'6'' 4/5 wt rod.Orvis products are great if you buy top end stuff.There low to mid range stuff isn't that much different than anybody else.My set up is extremly light weight but handles big fish very well.
Just my 2 cents hope it helps!

I have a Cabela's Prestige ($29.99) as a back up reel. When I bought it I compared it to the Okuma Sierra. Side by side you can only see a few cosmetic differences. The spare spools look identical. The sales clerk wouldn't say who made the Cabela's version but he did have a "grin" on his face when I asked him about it.

The Cabela's version is a good, servicable reel IMHO.

Regards

I too have a Prestige reel and an Okuma, they're spares and yes, other than cosmetics, they're identical. While they're both a little heavy compared to aluminum, the drag on them is solid, which is what I liked. I have an Okuma 4/5 as a trout reel and a 7/8 Prestige as a backup reel for Steelies. I've caught some nice fish with that reel and I can tell you that the drag never failed.

Back