Oil Creek: Lost it's Hatches?

S

Sylvaneous

For the past several years, I have not seen anything like what I have been used to on Oil Creek. THe grannoms used to leave their egg sacks all over the rocks, all over the face of the ice control dam. I haven't seen that in years, NOR the accompanying numbers of bugs.
I remember taking a former student from Warren like 8-9 years ago to the small cornuta (or drunella or whatever) early eve/late afternoon spinner fall. I haven't seen any of those bugs since...?

For however long, 5 years?, I haven't seen a decent sulfur hatch. I am STILL waiting to see any numbers of mayflies on Oil Creek. A smattering of the conventional hydropsyche caddis.
It's not just this year, not just last year or the year before. Several years.

This seems to defy the trend in water quality, historically. I would find it hard to believe that the water quality was better 30 years ago.

I - and several other forum members - hit some heavy grannom hatches there the third week of april.
I also saw some #14 gray mayflies. Had to be quill gordons or hendricksons.
There is a long thread about it in the stream reports

But that was the only time I fished there this year.
Maybe it was a fluke?

I hit a killer sulpher spinner fall on it last night. I just had to walk a short distance and was able to catch a good number of fish in the evening. There were March Browns and PEDs as well.

I also hit an excellent Grannom hatch earlier this year. Water was at 1000 CFS but the fish were rising. Heck I may make to commute back tonight.

Saw a kid land a 20in brown as well swinging a streamer.

Weather has been tough on the hatches this year. Cold nights than real warm back to cold nights. High water etc.

CRB wrote:
Weather has been tough on the hatches this year. Cold nights than real warm back to cold nights. High water etc.

The last three years.

Back