off topic, Fly fishing :0)

ryanh

ryanh

Not wanting to get between two dogs fighting I thought I would change things up a bit and talk about fishing.

I took the kid out to a local pond for the morning circus. The idiots were on parade. I actually say a guy cast out a rapalla with a bobin on it and let is sit there like bait.

In the pm I went to a local stream, Turtle Creek. THe water was High and off colored but my lord it was a pretty stream in places. And only 5 miles from my house! I will hit it agian once the water drops.

Here is the pearl of knowledge for me. Typically I would drive 20 to 50 miles for home water. I go to project water. I pass 20 stocked streams usually never giving them a second thought. Nows the time of year to hit them

did the kid catch anything ?

Ryan,

I can vouch for the "diamond in the ruff" theory. It is good to know your options and which are closer. I used to make weekly pilgrimages to Neshannock to fish. (1 hour) and 5 minutes from my house was an APW, albiet a toilet. It was my after work stream. I fished it hard for an hour dozens of tims and actually found the keys to making it a successful outting.

Now I live a whole lot closer to alot of decent fishing and have some small APW's closer. the close crik is fishing poorly for the fly fisher this time of year, but come June when the stockies are all gone, the little wild browns will be rising in my "after dinner" crik. Sometimes you run into a small treat close to home if you get out there and explore.

Maurice

ryanh wrote:
I took the kid out to a local pond for the morning circus. The idiots were on parade. I actually say a guy cast out a rapalla with a bobin on it and let is sit there like bait.
:lol: I have been avoiding the opening day circus, but maybe I should venture out for some comic relief! If you don't take it too seriously and take it in the right spirit, it can be a lot of fun, I guess.

Bruno,
The kid only lasted 45 min or about the time for a 4 year olds feet to get cold. I even made her a thermos of Hot chocolate. No fish. But my main goal is just getting her out. So when I'm taking the dirt nap she may remember that the old man at least took her fishing.

Wulff-man,
I have no illusions. 1st day is not about fishing for me. It is an excercise in people watching. And boy did it fill the bill. I had one guy follow me for half a mile talking about eating catfish from the Yough. But he "never heard of no trout comming out of there"... I thought he may have been related to Festus :-?

Another notable occurance was a youth of about 17 in full BDU's shouting at a trout in dominance.

It's not even worth opening your mouth sometimes.

Back