Odering new gear

M

mraganpbr

Ok so I am going to order a new flyrod. As I haven't fished in SE PA a whole lot I wanted to get your guys's opinions.
I know I want to get a Temple Fork 5wt. probably in 9ft. I have read a lot of conflicting things on how much the reel acutally matters. some say buy the expensive one and some say buy the one that holds the line on the spool. Any opinions?
I am learning to use nymph right now (when I was home last) and I am probably going to continue that. What type of flyline should I get.
I will do some dry fly stuff later when I get a little better at my presentations and casting and stuff.
Last but not least is there a store that has an online store that I could order from. I like to give my business to local businesses rather then some online company in california. Any recomendations would be hlepful.
Thanks
Mike Ragan

www.fideidefensormc.com

What TFO series rod are you looking at?

Personally I wouldn’t buy any TFO series other than the Finesse (medium-fast action) or Professional series (fast action) for trout fishing. The TiCr, TiCrx and Axiom series rods are overly stiff and probably better suited for bass fishing than close in trout fishing.

As for the reel, get a reel that balances the rod with the line on. You don’t need to spend a ransom for a good reel. Most people, myself included, will recommend a Lamson Konic (probably around $125 or so). Ross also makes some good entry level reels starting around $65. I’d just say get an entry-level reel with a drag from a reputable maker.

Standard floating weight forward line will suffice. Most people swear by Rio line but personally I don’t like Rio (I've bought Rio twice and within 1 year the coating was cracked and I take excellent care of my line). Scientific Angler and Cortland make good lines. Personally I like Ridge Airflow and Wolff Triangle Taper but any line made by one of these companies should be good.

I was actually looking at getting their combo package just to make it easy, but they don't give a lot of specs on it.
it is the TF NXT 5/6. My interenet is so slow here that it is hard to do a lot of research.
Any suggestions on the shop to order from ?

Here is the TFO outfit you mentioned:

http://www.burfish.com/catalog/tfo_nxt_rods_reels_outfits.html

Looks okay, but consider the Sage Launch kit for $80 more. A really good rod for the price, a cheap reel (not that important), and a good Rio line. The rod should be with you for a long time.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat602038_TGP&id=0029862319108a&navCount=20&podId=0029862&parentId=cat602038&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602038&hasJS=true

Good luck

I would go along with AFish’s recommendation.

The TFO combo is probably the Signature Series Rod ($109.50), the TFO Cartridge reel ($49.50), a TFO bag ($25.00) and some cheap line ($25.00) for a total of $209.00 that sells for $199.50.

Get a good rod and good line – not that the TFO rods aren’t but you probably can do better than the Signature Series. If buying a TFO rod, for starters I would upgrade to the Professional Series rod and buy an entry level Ross reel. Reels are (to a degree) a holder for line and you can get a good click and pawl reel pretty darn cheap ($25) and a good drag reel for under $75. The use of a c/p reel or one with a drag is a matter of preference. I used a c/p reel for 30 years and finally bought a Lamson Konic. I now prefer a reel with a drag.

Check out www.redtruckflyfishing.com. They have some excellent blowouts on Sage Launch rods. The Launch series is a really nice rod and redtruck is blowing them out at prices pretty close the same price as the TFO Signature Series.

thanks for the help. I have a few months before I am going to be able to use it but I want to take advantage of the holiday sales. Then I can get out on the water the first part of march after the baby is born and before I have to come back here.

First off, thanks for your service! Here's to a safe return and spending time with your family and time on the water. :pint:

Great advise has been given regarding rod/reel selection. I'd concur that the Launch is a great rod for the price. You should also look at MRFC as they have some great deals too. I believe the price is lower here than at Red Truck. Both places have good customer service from what I know.

The Ross Cimmaron is a good reel at a decent price, add that to the Launch and you're around $200. I have not personally ordered a rod/reel from them, but lots of fly shops will add line and backing in if you buy the rod and reel through them. You can call or email them and I'm sure they'll give you the options. Worst case scenario and you're still getting a killer setup for under $300, IMHO.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Afish
thanks for the advice Cabela's is sold out of the 5wt. but I will keep looking around

Check out Kittery Trading Post (Kittery, Maine).

www.kitterytradingpost.com

Reputable. Done business with them. Excellent company. They have Sage Launch rods priced around $140-$160.

also check out Albrightflyfish.com. There has been many good things said about the company on here, and if you're on a budget they fit into just about any one.

jaybo41 is correct...some great clearance deals at MRFC.....may allow you to step up in quality without spending any more...

Is a winston really worth the money?

mraganpbr wrote:
Is a winston really worth the money?

Depends on the individual, and what model. I have two of them, a 7 1/2' 3wt, and an 8' 4wt TMF. Sweet dry fly rods, and exquisite workmanship. If workmanship matters to you, it's tough to beat a Winston.

And now two questions for YOU!

Are you THIS Mike Ragan, and are you wearing a wet suit? :-D

Nope that is not me.

Well, it was worth a shot. ;-)

Merry Christmas, Mike. may you find a pretty green stick under your Christmas tree!

H.A.

Back