Ode to Brookies

greenghost

greenghost

This may seem like a non sequitur to the topic of our beloved brook trout, but stay with me for a minute.

Yesterday, a famous author by the name of Cormac McCarthy passed away. He is probably known best as the author of "No Country for Old Men." But he also wrote "The Road" In this lesser-known book, he tells the tale of a father and son traveling through the ravaged landscape of America after a nondescript Armageddon-type of event. The novel ends with these haunting words:

"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. . . . On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."

Luckily, these things still exist for us lucky few.

This may seem like a non sequitur to the topic of our beloved brook trout, but stay with me for a minute.

Yesterday, a famous author by the name of Cormac McCarthy passed away. He is probably known best as the author of "No Country for Old Men." But he also wrote "The Road" In this lesser-known book, he tells the tale of a father and son traveling through the ravaged landscape of America after a nondescript Armageddon-type of event. The novel ends with these haunting words:

"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. . . . On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."

Luckily, these things still exist for us lucky few.
Thanks for posting. I had not heard of his passing yet. I def did a deep dive into his stuff starting with All the Pretty Horses in the 90's. Always liked that stoic voice.

"wimpled"

I had to Google that one.

Some good writing. Mention of Brook Trout population declines have traditionally been synonymous with the land use changes/ human activities. Certainly accurate to a large degree and what everyone focuses on because of the temporal relationship between human land use issues and brook trout decline.

However, its often left unconsidered that as brook trout were dealing with these habitat, hydrology, and water quality related issues that invaders were being simultaneously stocked on-top of them. Its often unrecognized that this very likey supercharged the species collapse based off n what fisheries scientists know about the synergy between invasive species thermal stress, connectivity issues, and other environmental stresses.

Forests have regenerated in many instances, AMD treated, Dams removed, habitat built but we still have never seen what brook trout can do without the uninterrupted stocking of invaders that began over 100 years ago in the majority of places in PA and continues today.

While not chipmunks, deer , and stray cats, Brook trout found in orange near lifeless streams just because invaders cannot survive there are proof that they can live in some degraded habitat.

Spring creeks with cows crapping in the water, rampant erosion, and active Agriculture that have brook trout prove that the landscape need not be perfect if the water is cold in many cases.

I think, in PA at least , if brook trout were released at watershed scale from this uninterrupted more than century old state sponsored assault it would REALLY surprise some people in some cases where they would return to, in what density, and what disturbances on the landscape they could actually survive.

Some good writing. Mention of Brook Trout population declines have traditionally been synonymous with the land use changes/ human activities. Certainly accurate to a large degree and what everyone focuses on because of the temporal relationship between human land use issues and brook trout decline.

However, its often left unconsidered that as brook trout were dealing with these habitat, hydrology, and water quality related issues that invaders were being simultaneously stocked on-top of them. Its often unrecognized that this very likey supercharged the species collapse based off n what fisheries scientists know about the synergy between invasive species thermal stress, connectivity issues, and other environmental stresses.

Forests have regenerated in many instances, AMD treated, Dams removed, habitat built but we still have never seen what brook trout can do without the uninterrupted stocking of invaders that began over 100 years ago in the majority of places in PA and continues today.

While not chipmunks, deer , and stray cats, Brook trout found in orange near lifeless streams just because invaders cannot survive there are proof that they can live in some degraded habitat.

Spring creeks with cows crapping in the water, rampant erosion, and active Agriculture that have brook trout prove that the landscape need not be perfect if the water is cold in many cases.

I think, in PA at least , if brook trout were released at watershed scale from this uninterrupted more than century old state sponsored assault it would REALLY surprise some people in some cases where they would return to, in what density, and what disturbances on the landscape they could actually survive.
And imagine what would happen if they quit stocking starlings and English sparrows!

And imagine what would happen if they quit stocking starlings and English sparrows!
I don’t know there isn’t data or real word examples I am aware of demonstrating a large scale additional harm of stocked starlings far beyond that of wild non-native starlings like there is with invasive trout on brook trout.

Last edited:
I interviewed to illustrate all the storyboards for the film (The Road). I didn't get the contract, but it was cool reading the script and doing mockups. I hadn't read the book before that job opportunity but did after being introduced to it. I remember reading that line but had forgotten about it until now.

I'm not getting into a brook trout conversation, but Cormac McCarthy was a great author.
You missed the opportunity to write "I'm not getting into a brook trout conservation conversation..."

I just coincidentally started reading one of his later books I believe, "The Passenger". I have read several other books of his over the years. I loved "The Road" and do not recall that ending line, but thanks for pointing it out.

One good thing about getting older is you can re-read books and they seem as enjoyable as the 1st time since you forgot most of the story anyway . . .

Back