October caddis

sundrunk

sundrunk

Any one every catch an October caddis hatch, and happen to key in on size and color?...My real question is hackle and wing color for the egg layers..Was going to guess med-light ginger, or barred..But wanted to ask the experts...

Thanks

I have only ever hit them when I lived in Idaho. Sandlfy had/has a pic on his web site of a natural. My experience was sporadic, not so much of a hatch. As long as you have a long wing and an orange body you should be effective. Never saw these things get sipped. Wham is more like it. If you have ginger use it. But anything from brown to light dun will work just fine.

I've hit a few very sporadic hatches on the little juniata.
Doesn't seem to be something to be much concerned with IMO.
But I did catch a few of the naturals. They are rather large - size #14 or even #12. Brownish wings and burnt orange body.
I tie mine with dark orange dubbing, and brown deer hair wing and hackle

Interesting, so they are simular to their western cousins...

Orange body
tan wing
ginger hackle
Got it,

It's a sporadic event, but It never hurts to be prepared...I've got a bunch of caddis patterns already tied up but none in a size 10,12...

Thanks

Good point, and I think i do...May be fishing Penns next week, IME, all bugs are one size bigger on the creek...

I just happened upon one of these guys last night. From head to wingtip, he measured about an inch. I haven't tied any, but when I do, it will be probably be a variation of a Henryville special or a Henry's Fork Caddis using cdc dubbing and ginger hackle. The pupa is a good idea to fish right now, of course.

Nice, couldn't ask for much more then that, great shot..

If I only had some #8, super fine, dry fly hooks I'd be in great shape..Mustads are to heavy for a caddis of that size IMO..Mustads would work but would much prefer a finer diameter hook for such a task..

I can imagen pupa patterns producing lots of action but rather concentrate on the challange of the dry. Some where there is a nice fish rising on those egg-layers, all you have to do is find them..Walk and stalk..

Has anyone ever hit a good october caddis hatch in PA?
I'm talking about something where there enough of them coming off to get the fish rising fairly steady to them.
I was told by another fisherman once that they are a morning hatch. But I've only ever seen a few of them flying around, laying eggs I presume, in the last hour of the day.
Maybe I just haven't been in the right place at the right time?

I heard the same thing; sporadic oct caddis hatch, layers in the late afternoon.

I hear a lot of folks say they don't see trout rising on Grannom either, yet the hatch has produced big fish for me, all on top..I bet trout rise on oct caddis but they're just hard to find...

I'm heading up to Penns for olives and white gloved mayflies, thought I'd better prepare for oct caddis just in case...I have never fished over Oct-caddis hatch, so I don't have a good answer to drysflyguy's question..I guess I'll find out soon enough...

My experience with the October Caddis (cinnamon caddis) is similar to DFG's. Although fascuinating to see all them bugs migrating upstream and the fish launching in the air to get them a foot off the water. Putting a bug on the surface goes untouched most of the time. It's really odd.....

We kid about standing across the river from one another, hooking our flies together and suspending them over the fish. Then maybe they would go after our immitations.

I am not sure what time of day they hatch but the migration of egg layers seems to be in late afternoon on sunny days.

found a half light october caddis tonight , medium brown body , wings a little lighter in color , about a size 14 with occasional 12 , took a couple on the surface but most actions was big trout leaping into the air like a dolphin show at disney !!! if they were on the water it seemed as though they weren't that excited , emergers in the foam tonight was a better option !!!!

I imagen just the sight of those trout jumping out of the water is worth it alone...I wonder what the odds would be for mid-air hook up? Maybe if you do enough, side arm, false casts you'll induce a trout to jump out of the water and hook up; this actually happend to me once but I didn't set the hook..

I fished Penns last Friday. Didn't see any Oct caddis or slates but the caddis and olives were on! Managed a bakers dozen in the hand..I've got one more trip to Penns in mind, which will be my last till next year..Ahh, the end of the season is near...

I caught a bass on a large streamer mid air before. I cast it about 30-40 feet and he nailed it about 2 feet off the water. Scared me half to death... landed him too.

Nice, I am sure you'll remember that bass for a long time..Mine was an airborn trout, and like you stated, it about startled me half to death..Damm thing was huge and he came up from below my feet. It was one of those moments where time seemed to slow down..I went eye to eye with the beast...S.O.B was pushing 24", with a mean nasty look about'em...I jumped back taking my rod, line and fly with me..It all happend so fast.. He splashed down..I rememeber it took me a while to settle down after that...You know for that brief moment, I think in retrospect, I didn't want any thing to do with that monster.Of course a second later I was kicking my self for reacting so poorly...Sometimes big trout can catch you off gaurd...

i had a very similar insect land on me the other day it was bigger it would have been a 10 or even an 8 an 8 might have been pushing it but it was big and the wings were more like a burnt orange an spotted i was at oakmont bakery working when it landed on me

Back