Oak Orchard Area (NY) Report Nov 6-11 2022

Prospector

Prospector

Three of us fished in the NY tribs earlier this week and here is what we experienced.

Oak Orchard, 18 Mile and Sandy had good water flow due to canal water being diverted.

Fishing pressure was all over the map. Oak Orchard had the least amount of pressure when considering the amount of quality locations in that stretch. Kings made up the majority of the mix on the Oak and many were green, some browns (on the smaller side) and some cohos. Very few steelhead. The Oak didn’t seem to hold the fish like past seasons. That probably will change. The club seems to be serving breakfast again although I didn’t eat there.

18 Mile provided the easiest access to the fish. Everyone was hooking up there. Again lots of green kings and lots of spawning activity with a smattering of dead kings. The stretch has changed some since last year but it’s mostly the same. Browns were in good numbers if you know where to look but most ranged from 11” to 22” (small browns). One guy I know gets to a spot early and stays all day. He caught 20 browns on Wed. Some bigger browns began to show up in the Friday morning rain and I’m guessing next week should have the bigger fish. On Monday I fished 18 mile from 730am until about 2pm working a stretch where people came and went so I could check out lots of water. I landed 3 small browns and a few kings but I lost 5-8 smaller browns and an Atlantic that made several nice jumps before saying goodbye. Saw very few steelhead but some cohos were moving up.

On Thursday I drove to 18 Mile but I don’t like to fish too close to others so I left after sitting and watching for an hour for a reasonable opening. I decided to explore a few areas on Sandy. Lots of cars at the main areas on Sandy. I checked a popular spot and a location upstream that most don’t know about. In both locations I saw just 5 fish. Sandy seemed dead to me.

Over the 5 days I landed 9 Browns, 23 Kings and 1 Coho

The brown photo is the largest and last brown I caught. Note the eggs coming out of the brown. The Kings were mostly in the 16lb-19lb range. Photo is an 18lb king. I didn’t weigh my coho nor did I get a photo of it, but I included a photo of a coho a buddy caught just to show the coloration.

C8D72CBB 2CAA 4EA3 8D9A 638D69BEE319
970B1651 42BC 4762 BEE0 E4EF43BBCE0D
E3641E6D 9881 44B9 A1F9 F871F29EB3E3

Last edited:
Looks like a great day!

Sounds like a good week. You said last pic was a Coho, looks like a trout with those colors and white mouth.

Sounds like a good week. You said last pic was a Coho, looks like a trout with those colors and white mouth.
Admittedly it is really hard to tell what you have sometimes. The one I caught was clear. This picture, not so much. There is usually a bigger area with the rose hue on the side of a coho. Here is a YouTube that shows how detailed you can be to really nail it. It includes a coho/steelhead compare but they use summer chrome fish. I’ll try to get a better photo of a coho with spawning colors.

Here are some other Great Lakes Coho photos in various stages of coloration. Including dark mouths and white mouths. Top photo is an Oak Orchard fish.

0FB45822 AD1E 4875 A776 41BDBD475CE6
679F7C65 9887 4262 ABBE CA3049BA78B7
CFF35CA5 7214 453D A01C 5B623CE68112
B9D700EE 7013 4AD7 A82F AC1E6DB08A3A
CE54598A 485A 4AA6 8856 D1E96F8BC1A3

I wasn't doubting you, I know Cohos color up after they're in the river for a while. Mainly commented because of the white mouth of that fish in the pic. I've never fished this late for them, usually fish the Salmon river end of Sept. or beginning of Oct. and the few I've seen had much darker mouths.

I wasn't doubting you, I know Cohos color up after they're in the river for a while. Mainly commented because of the white mouth of that fish in the pic. I've never fished this late for them, usually fish the Salmon river end of Sept. or beginning of Oct. and the few I've seen had much darker mouths.
No worries, because I had the same initial reaction. I want things to be accurate as I’m just trying to help people by posting the report in the first place. Cohos do color up nice though.

Back