Oak Orchard 5 day summary

Prospector

Prospector

We drove up on Sat Nov 7 and at 2pm there were 51 cars at park ave lot. The Archers Club is closed and posted. Most of the time no club members were present but they don’t want anyone on premise. Fish were being caught consistently on the opposite bank along archery property from top of hole to the end of the fast run all the way down to the campers. There was 15 yds between Anglers. Sycamore hole packed. Otherwise action was slow until water lowered for an hour for leaf cleaning. Must have dropped 18 inches and most people left. This took a full hour at prime time 4pm - 5pm. When water was super low several people waited it out and the rest resorted to snagging the kings. It got ugly.

Sunday morning nearly everyone had a fish on, lots of fish in shallow water above Archers hole and sight fishing effective. Evening 28 cars slow night only a few fish caught on the stretch in front of archers club. Kings moving up

Monday. Packed to the gills. Most people catching fish. A guide up near the life preserver line had 3 clients and they had lots of fish on. Most kings were pretty beat up and many zombies but I did hook a fresh one on Monday night. It barreled like a freight train so I busted it off rather than risk losing my spot in the sycamore hole. He even jumped twice after getting disengaged.

Tuesday was a really good day. Our group had a lot of hookups and we landed easily the most we ever had in a day.

Wednesday we only fished until 10am but had good action after rain throughout the night. Prior to Wed, I had caught only 1 steelhead but I got 4 in 3 hours on Wed morning. So the rain seemed to trigger a steelie push.

The makeup of my catch was....
61.5% browns, biggest 29.5. Most were males
16% steelhead, biggest 26”
16% Kings, biggest 36”
6.5% Atlantic’s, biggest 28”
So nothing huge. I only carry a tape not a scale. I should point out that if someone wanted to catch more kings they were there for the taking but I generally avoided them.

My father caught a 29” female full of eggs that probably went 13lbs for the biggest non king of the trip.

On Tues was lucky enough to get a brown, steelie, King and Atlantic on same day, a first. Never heard anyone mention Coho so not sure if any were running.

My dad’s buddy broke a rod off just past the cork after a failed net attempt. The fish made a huge surge after getting a second chance at freedom. Consider bringing a backup rod. His paid off.

Good trip for us. Many of the regulars for this week were disgusted with the numbers of fisherman. Covid opened the door for more people to have free time.

It sounds like you had a good trip with a good variety of fish caught. That's quite a "slam" for one day . It's good to hear that the Atlantics are a part of the catch. They were a rare catch 10 years ago. I personally would rather see Atlantics than Kings. GG

Congrats on the slam, I kept saying I wanted to catch an Atlantic bad and knew where they were being caught but just kept going for browns and steelies instead. I hooked up with some moldy boots too but I always break them off as it's not my thing also a little too big for my net.

Accurate reports on the low water king snagging, over the weekend a bunch of younger people were doing it as well. I caught mostly hens but they were fairly large but would have liked some large males myself! I got a pretty good fish on another smaller trib in the area too, overall it was a decent trip and sounds like yours was also. I'm glad this year is better than last.

last 2 weeks been getting lakers, browns, and atlantics where I go

Sandfly,that's an interesting group. Any size to the Atlantic's? Best fighters? GG

20-28" anerage, lakers we were throwing the little ones back (5 lb or less)

Are the Lakers taking streamers or do they become opportunistic and eat eggs too? I guess it’s still protein.

I don’t fish the stream that the lakers prefer.

Lakers eat anything. I'm not going to take a guess out loud as to where sandfly is fishing, but I will say it's not a tributary to a great lake.

yes it could be

Back