Nymphing

A

atticus

What is your go to / most productive caddis imitation when nymphing ?

I don’t intentionally try to imitate caddis when nymphing, but have found P T nymphs to work well when Brachycentridae caddis, which I think the people here call grannoms, are common in a stream, such as the Little J and upper Fishing Ck, Clinton Co. If I were trying to imitate free-living caddis, those that are not case caddis, then I would use general imitations that have bright green, army green, light yellow, or tan to brown colored abdomens based on sampling that I have done around the state. Note, however, the bright green caddis nymphs (Rhyacophilidae) are the least common because they are indicative of excellent water quality and even when present, they are not present in large numbers.

I don’t nymph often, but when I do, I like a size 16 Bird of Prey Caddis as my dropper. Stay drag free my friends.

I think a BOP Caddis imitates a lot of smaller nymphs, both caddis and mayfly pretty well. Good all around pattern, but effective enough straight caddis imitation too.

Peeping caddis can be tied about a million different ways and if I know there's caddis in good numbers I'll use it as a dropper every time. You can really play around with the materials used too to match many different scenarios.

Pretty simple for my fly box
3 versions of rhyacophila
BH tan bird's-nest
BH olive bird's-nest

That's it!

krayfish2 wrote:
Pretty simple for my fly box
3 versions of rhyacophila
BH tan bird's-nest
BH olive bird's-nest

That's it!
You forgot the green weenie.

You know damn well that I won't allow those, carpet or mop flies in the box. LoL

krayfish2 wrote:
You know damn well that I won't allow those, carpet or mop flies in the box. LoL

I couldn't resist!

Ryan, that was perfect!

My Caddis I usually fish is just a greenish dubbed body with a brownish dubbed head. That's it. So, basically, a 2 tone Walt's Worm. Oh, and the green weenie. Gotta fish those. Krayfish is missing out BIG TIME!!!!

Krayfish I'm going to sneak a mop into that box at the jam. ColdBore is on my list too...... LOL

drakeking412 wrote:

Krayfish I'm going to sneak a mop into that box at the jam. ColdBore is on my list too...... LOL

Don't even think about it! I've had to throw away too many boxes of previously good flies, because a single mop fly snuck in and infected them all with a fish-avoidance virus! :-o

We need to ship all mop flies to China, and have them locked away in the quarantine zones!

Leading coachman

Back