Nymphing low water

kobalt335

kobalt335

I hit a local stream tonight and found very low clear water. I could see fish in usual pockets, but with the water so low all my nymphs get stuck on bottom rights away, and I find it difficult to "feel" nymphs with little or no weight. Other than a dry dropper, what are some low water nymphing tactics? I normally high stick, but the water is to clear and indicators are out of the question to for these fish.

Drop shot rig will keep your fly off the bottom and still have enough weight to feel and lead it.

^ I second that, and/or lose the weight all together and fish by sight with weightless nymphs- i.e. Cast and watch the fishes behavior as your nymphs drift by- if you see it go to the side or move to where you believe your nymph to be and you see the white of its mouth open, tighten up (no need to Jimmy Houston it) and hold on! I actually utilize a strip set in combo with a deliberate lift- if the fish doesn't have your fly, then it is still in the water / won't make as much of a disturbance as a regular trout set. Also you'd be surprised at how many times the fish doesn't have your fly but takes it right after you "set" the hook.

kobalt335 wrote:
Other than a dry dropper, what are some low water nymphing tactics?

Well, I think the dry-dropper is the best approach for these sorts of situations, especially for distance presentations. It's about all I use in skinny water with spooky fish.

But since you asked for other options, I'd suggest using slightly weighted flies and no shot or weight on the line. Strike detection is difficult, but a short line presentation will allow for this.

Also, don't be so sure that a strike indicator will spook the fish. A small, light weight strike indicator doesn't hit the water any harder than a beetle fly.....and a yarn indicator is even lighter. The coiled mono type indicator popularized by George Daniel in recent years is also quite stealthy.

Tie a sighter into your leader, grease the leader up until your tippet section, then cast light weight nymphs or softhackles upstream.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I normally use a dry dropper, but I'm always looking to try some new techniques.

Back