Nymphing line Wt forward or double tapered

salmo

salmo

I’m realativly new to nymphing. I have a 10 ft 4 wt rod and wonder if I should use a DT line or Wt. forward. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Can't see that it matters all that much for a nymphing rig since you'll rarely have more than 10-15 feet of line out the tip. The differences between a WF and DT of the same make and model don't usually show up until you're about 35' into the line.

tomitrout wrote:
Can't see that it matters all that much for a nymphing rig since you'll rarely have more than 10-15 feet of line out the tip. The differences between a WF and DT of the same make and model don't usually show up until you're about 35' into the line.

^ +1

A strictly nymph rig or line is not really necessary. I suggest your rig should be versatile enough to cover any type of trout fishing you may choose to do on the stream at any given time.

The vast majority of trout fishermen choose a regular WF line, which is versatile enough to make all the casts to fish nymphs as well as dries, wets and streamers.

Here are some Basic nymphing tips. Good luck nymphing.

Just started nymphing eh? Well the worm has certainly turned for you. As mentioned above either is fine.

I have found the first year you start is the toughest. Just stick with it and know you are paying your dues. By year 3 you will be amazed at your progress, catching fish you have had no right in catching.

Good luck.

I prefer dt or a WF with a long head for nymph rigs. It allows for much easier mending compared to running line - which is what you will trying to mend with if you are using a WF with a short head.

I would suggest you look at the mono rig, as described on troubitten blog. Fly line is mostly a hinderance when nymphing and the mono rig allows you to basically keep it all on the reel while fishing. With a little
practice you will even learn to cast dries, streamers and indicators using the mono rig

+1 for the mono rig. I am new to fly fishing and this spring I started with the mono rig and I am catching more fish than ever before. Nymphing and streamers, haven't messed with dries to much with it yet. I think it is much easier than traditional nymphing.

The disadvantages of any typical WF or DT line is line sag in your guides which loses connection to your flies. The mono rig is good. The main reason for your low diameter nymph lines is to adhere to competition standards if you ever want to do that, as well as reduce sag. The multi colored in line sighters will up your game as well as having the right set up. I would emphasize that if you set it up like this you are having a nymph only rig. If you want to occasionally throw dries or streamers with it I would recommend having another reel or spool with other line on it for those situations.

Looked into the mono rig. Might as well use a spinning rod. Seriously. The fly line is a hinderance? Line management is part of learning how to fly fish. I'm not saying I'm good at it, I'm just sayin', dealing w/ the fly line is part of fly fishing.

I agree w/ Afish and Tomi. Your standard rig should be versatile enough to handle nymphing. No need for a specialized "nymphing rig". That's just marketing to sell more rods.

No brainer.
DT.
At least when that 15' wears out, you can turn it around and get more use.

Disclaimer: I hate nymphing so much I just streamer fish.

WF will handle heavier rigs / indis easier. DT will be easier to mend at Long distance. For 99% of what you do in PA... either will work. Like mentioned above, DT gives you the opportunity to flip the line and get double the we're out of it.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Looked into the mono rig. Might as well use a spinning rod. Seriously. The fly line is a hinderance? Line management is part of learning how to fly fish. I'm not saying I'm good at it, I'm just sayin', dealing w/ the fly line is part of fly fishing.

I agree w/ Afish and Tomi. Your standard rig should be versatile enough to handle nymphing. No need for a specialized "nymphing rig". That's just marketing to sell more rods.

This is how I feel. When I read things like that it basically is telling me, why fly fish? Get a long and lightweight spinning rod and string it up with 4 or 6 lb mono and you can fish nymphs way better than with any fly line. I won't be using the mono rig because I'm stubborn.

Back to the line question. I have used both WF and DT and can see absolutely no difference between the two. Maybe there are differences but I just adapt and that line is what I have and it always works fine. Here is one absolute fact about the two lines though. DT takes more space on the reel than a WF so if you're all ready max capacity with a WF then you need to lose some backing before switching to DT.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
The fly line is a hinderance?

I often feel this way.

I don't always fish with fly fishing equipment, but when I do, I use fly line. Stay pure my friends.

I use mono instead of fly line for some specialty applications.

One thing to keep in mind is that FFO streams have a 17' max for leader length (or at least they used to, I haven't checked the regs this year).

While I have never heard of anyone being cited for using mono over 17' on an FFO, I make sure when I'm in these sections to limit my mono to that length just to be in compliance.

Swattie87 wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:
The fly line is a hinderance?

I often feel this way.

I don't always fish with fly fishing equipment, but when I do, I use fly line. Stay pure my friends.
hahaha yeah man! Maybe I'm an uber-purist...but when I looked into this mono-rig and it talked about fly line being a hinderance, and how you cast the weight of the flies "unlike traditional rigs", I just thought, "you know...at some point it really ISN'T fly fishing".

I was reminded of Maurice's wise words from the jam this year. "What you're doing is fishing with a fly rod...but you haven't actually fly fished!"

Thanks for all of the advice. BTY while I spend most of my time fishing nymphs lately, I’m still catching more fish on dries. Go figure. At least I’m enjoying fishing nymphs more than in the past.

Back