Nymphing in off-color water

All good tips! I've tried all but getting tight to the banks. Have to give that one a try next time it's blown out

1. Grow a really long, likely smelly and dirty beard.
2. Buy a Tenkara length rod, but MacGyver a traditional reel and eyelets on it.
3. Read every “Mono” blog you can find.
4. Buy a net with a really long handle.
(You’re using a long rod.)
5. No need to buy a new one, but flatten out the bend in your ball cap, and be sure to put croakies on your sunglasses. Preferably in the pattern of the native salmonoid species to your locale.

6. I tried to keep this to five, but it needs a sixth. Fill your “guide” sling or “comp” WJ chest pack with as many hazy IPA’s as it will hold - some for you, and some in case you run into a lady nympher, and a slim box of Perdigons.

Did I get that about right?

Ok.... Top 5 pro tips for gemmie anglers 😂👍

1. Practice taking photos of your palms before heading to the stream. You will want to learn the proper photo angle to maximize that 3" beaut you just landed.

2. Backpack importance. Two options available... military surplus or REI for their flagship model. Money is no object as it must be comfortable to carry your jerky, your trail mix, 3-4 copies of the Delorme Atlas, rape whistle and bear spray. One thing you will need to be careful with is the color. You don't want it to spook fish or clash with your skinny jean ensemble. Additional small exterior pockets are of great importance. One is where you will place the 2 patterns required to fool gemmies and the other is for the knit beanie you wear when it's 75 degrees out.

3. Terminology. If you can not weave: brush busting, rock hopping, blue lining, trophy native, bushy flies and "in the rhododendron" into most conversations, you should consider a different pastime.

4. Waders. They need to be bulletproof and cheap. Why waste the money when a pair of waders has never completed a full blue lining season? Wader fit is crucial for success. Be sure that they are loose enough for you to squat, crawl and cower. Try on at a local fly shop before buying. They should be slightly looser than your skinny jeans.

5. Fly reel / rods. When blue lining, a reel is important to keep you from stepping on your line or carrying it in your pocket. Drag is unnecessary since 4" fish don't fight very much. The only two options are vintage from a yard sale or Abel Vaya in brook trout pattern. You are going to want to invest in rods between 5' for tight streams to 7.5' for the larger streams containing trophy gemmies upwards of 8". Bamboo and vintage will provide more stream cred a win arguments instantly.
**IMPORTANT** You are going over line the rod by two weights at all times so choose carefully. The heavier line is required because casts are so short and also needed to turn over bushy wind resistant flies like a #16 elk hair caddis.

Feel free to nominate for post of the year

Last edited:
I do like my waders loose, and my flies bushy!

Though, the Okuma Sierra is the Gemmie reel of choice, for graphite Gem-ists. Glass guys overwhelmingly go with a vintage Pflueger Medalist. Boo guys, wait, I don’t know any boo guys.

From what I’ve gathered though, boo guys are just closet graphite fans. “Even when I fish my boo, you know I’m crazy over you.” (Graphite)

Back