Nymphing in general

coyoterahn

coyoterahn

So, regardless of the nymphing technique: Euro, hi stick, indicator etc. Here is my question. Do you prefer weighted nymphs or unweighted with a split shot used as a dropper.
As for me I prefer unweighted nymphs with a split shot dropper when fishing smaller streams or those streams where the riffle sections are typically 2 ft or less in depth. Larger streams I will used both weighted and unweighted nymphs. If using unweighted nymphs with a split shot dropper, do you guys prefer tying the split shot dropper off of a tag or directly off of the point fly?
Just curious.

More often than not I use weighted nymphs but, as you say, getting deep in a small stream is not terribly difficult or always necessary. I rarely use split shot though; I have weighted and unweighted versions of most of my go-to patterns.

Just for thought. You can make an unweighted nymph, weighted, by running your tippet through a bead head, then tie to the fly. It will, normally remain against the eye of the hook, but can slide down and act like a split shot, letting the nymph ride higher.

Jim

coyoterahn wrote:

Do you prefer weighted nymphs or unweighted with a split shot used as a dropper.

Weighted, whether brass or tungsten bead, or lead wire wraps.

I've gone back and forth with thinking that a weighted fly with separate splitshot gives a more natural appearance, to thinking the splitshot drags the fly anyway creating an unnatural action.

I also find the flip flopping action of casting with splitshot to be annoying.

In the end, and especially after transitioning over to tight line techniques, I prefer the direct line (possibly a pun there?) method, cutting out the splitshot.

Unless I'm in very slow, very shallow water, you'll probably find a beadhead of some sort, without splitshot, on my line 90% of the time.

I prefer to a weighted nymph over split shot as it tends to look more natural and in small streams I sometimes feel like a split shot might spook fish more than just presenting the fly.

I always have weighted nymphs on. There are situations where I combine unweighted nymphs on a rig with weighted nymphs though. I mostly indicator fish.

Weighted for me. For my most commonly used patterns, the same size fly will be tied with varying amounts of lead distinguished by contrasting thread colors.

I'm a big fan of both weighted and unweighted. And I often use split sit with weighted nymphs. I want them to get down quickly and one BB size split about 4-6 inches above my nymph makes that happen..

Weighted. The exception being some smaller midge larvae and pupae that don't have a profile which weight can be added in. If I'm fishing one of those alone, say sight nymphing in shallow water, I'll use some small split shot.

Weighted.

I hate split shot on my line. I don't need another point of weight to act like a bola or grappling hook out there.

I also feel that if my nymph gets stuck I am more likely able to free it. However, if a shot gets stuck, it tends to wedge itself pretty deep in the rocks.

Back