Nymphing (and egg) set up for Salmon River Steelhead

S

Skook

I'm curious to learn more about fishing single eggs and nymphs for Salmon River NY steelhead. This will be a once or twice per year endeavor, so I would like to keep things relatively simple as I will probably have three or four days on the water per year. That's not a lot of time to experiment with all sorts of different systems to find what works.

I will be using either a 7 or 8 weight 9' rod to start, which is what I have currently. If it sticks, I might move up to a 10' rod down the road.

Lake Ontario tribs allow the use of only one fly, and the total of fly and weight is limited to 1/8 oz or less. Added weight below the hook is prohibited, so drop-shotting with the shot placed below the fly is a no-go.

My initial thoughts are to use a floating line with a simple leader design of about 9' or 10' in length. I am thinking of using approximately 6' of 20lb - 25lb Maxima or Amnesia connected to a tiny barrel swivel, to which I will attach a 3' or 4' section of 3x or 4x fluoro, depending upon the size of the fly.

I will probably use an indicator, but I'm not sure if I should go with a Thingamabobber or Air Lock or a yarn-type indicator like a Dorsey. Because only one fly is allowed, I'm thinking that a Dorsey might be enough to suspend the rig, depending upon the amount of weight added to it.

If this simple system is workable, would I add the weight above the tiny swivel to keep it in place or would it be too far from the fly? Perhaps I would add it to a tag end of the fluoro at the swivel knot. I'm thinking it might work for a weighted nymph but maybe not for a glo-bug style egg pattern with no added weight to the hook.

My guess is that roll casting and waterload casting will be the norm. I'm not sure if this will impact the style of system I should use. If temps are well below freezing, I'm thinking maybe I would just high-stick with whatever length of line I could cast without needing to shoot any line through the guides.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just use a 7.5 1x leader attached to a small barrel swivel or tippet ring, then attach your tippet. I just keep it simple and put the weight about a foot above the fly. If I use an indicator ( most of the time I don't) I just use a thingamabobber. It's about the same rig I use for trout

The weight change must be new? I normally use a sink tip line so adding weight is not needed unless the water is really high. With a floating line I'd add tiny bb shot above the fly about a foot up till I got it to tick the bottom. An indicator is your choice. What your used to . GG

I prefer to run a vertical rig, very similar to the way center pin guys rig. I use an switch rod but you could get by with a 9’ rod. Here’s a link of Michigan style rigs, the float/fly-pinning is the rig I like for bigger water. http://www.current-works.com/fly-fishing-articles/rigging-for-steelhead-salmon/

Thanks, everyone.

timbow,

That vertical rig looks deadly; however, at what point do I just cut to the chase and become a dirty pinner? :lol:

I use a 9 ft 8/9 wt and a version of the mono rig. 20 lb running line to a swivel. (1 or 2 sinkers above the swivel depending on flows). Below sinker, 1.5 ft of 17 to 12 pound mono. No need for indicator, you will know. If fish are fresh bright colored eggs are good. Higher up on river I go to simple earth tone wet or stone flies sizes 8-12 and mostly 10. Thread wrapped body with either a turn or two of hackle or estaz. You will lose alot so keep flies simple and cheap.

Haha, just bite the bullet and buy a pinning rig! I would if I wasn’t so cheap, those reels are pricey. Seriously, I like the blackbird phantom floats and when they stand straight up you know your rig is perfectly vertical and drag fee. With some creative mending you can get 70-80’ drag free drifts.

Trust me. I'm no purist. I must admit that I've successfully float fished for steelhead in the past, albeit with a spinning rod. I have some friends that have switched over to the pin in the last few years. I have given serious thought about joining them but figured I would try the fly rod again before starting a new, expensive hobby.

I tried fly fishing once before on the Salmon River with no luck. The friends I fish with there are gear guys, so I just put the fly rod away and joined their crowd. Now that they are moving to centerpinning, it's given me motivation to put the spinning gear away and give fly fishing more effort.

Oops I reread your 1st post. The set up I list is for salmon not steelies. My bad. Can't help you with steelhead.

I use insta-set floats (strike indidcators) they come in a couple of sizes and they indicate if you have a drag free drift or not. I only use them when steelhead fishing and I use beads most of the time. Sometimes add a stonefly with the bead pegged 1.5 inches up. Can only use one hook in NY so I still get two baits this way..

How to the pinner style rigs cast with a fly rig?

Back