Nymph line

kobalt335

kobalt335

I normally nymph with my 10ft 4wt and use like a 25ft leader so my fly line isn't in the guides. This rod is due for new line anyway, so im looking at getting a dedicated nymph line. Are these worth it to help reduce sag or the hassel of such a long leader?

What would a leader setup be like when using this line? In my mind I picture like a 10ft leader down to a tippet ring.

I am very new to this type of fishing myself. Check out the website troutbitten.com there is a lot of useful information there.

Canoetripper wrote:
I am very new to this type of fishing myself. Check out the website troutbitten.com there is a lot of useful information there.

After browsing troutbitten, now I'm starting to reconsider the line. I saw alot of advantages of using the heavy mono attached to the wf fly line. I may just try either the chameleon or amnesia this season, and see where I stand after that.

A mono rig as described in Troutbitten seems easy to construct and inexpensive. My concern, with no experience using it, is with line handling. It theory, I would rather handle a thin fly line at the cork than a thin mono. Flyline seems like it would slip less, especially when wearing gloves (winter).

I'm curious to learn what others experienced using a mono rog compared to a euro fly line.

I've never used euro line however I have fished the mono rig for about 5 years and have no issues with line control. I wear fingerless gloves in winter. Being able to remove nymphing leader and use traditional fly line is a huge bonus for the mono rig. It is very versatile and extremely productive. I've caught more fish on the mono rig than any other type of fly fishing. I can not see any reason in spending the extra cash on euro line.

I use Cortland comp nymph line in level with braid core (important as it reduces stretching over time) and then a step down leader made of mostly maxima chameleon. 3'-4' of 15#, 4'-6' of 12#, two 2' sections of 10# amnesia in red and chartreuse down to a 2mm tippet ring. the fly line does help with casting distance when using lighter nymphs and does feel good to strip. i think it's only $50 too

I bought the cheapest level running/shooting line I could find on ebay and have been using that as my "euro" line. Works like a charm. Cost less than 15 bucks IIRC.

Not saying such cheapo lines are good "fly" lines, but for a line that doesn't really need to float and isn't really meant for conventional casting, it works great for tight line nymphing.

Livelylegz.com has a how to video comparing traditional, nymph, and mono lines for euro style that might be helpful.

Sci Anglers and Rio have 20' nymph line with looped ends to attach to your regular fly line. IMO they're over priced at $25 and $ 30 but they give you the best of both worlds by simply changing the tip like a leader.

I use Cortland comp nymph line in level with braid core (important as it reduces stretching over time) and then a step down leader made of mostly maxima chameleon. 3'-4' of 15#, 4'-6' of 12#, two 2' sections of 10# amnesia in red and chartreuse down to a 2mm tippet ring. the fly line does help with casting distance when using lighter nymphs and does feel good to strip. i think it's only $50 too
Last month I bought the Orvis Clearwater nymphing outfit which comes with their "Hydros Tactical Nymph Line" (in addition to the rod and reel). Bought it at TCO and they told me the nymph line is basically like a super light 1-wt fly line which eliminates the need for a full length (20'+) mono leader. Instead they told me to build a 10'-12' tapered mono leader, which is what I did. I used about 40" each of Maxima 20, 15 and 10 which tapers down to about 2' of 0x sighter with a tippet ring to my tippet. I've used it twice so far and it's definitely better at casting further distances over a longer mono rig which is what I was using before. Didn't notice any of the dreaded sag either.

you're on the right track now clams

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to hear some opinions on the nymphing lines, as most people I speak to use the mono rig.

Back