NYC DEP Boat Auction

Bamboozle

Bamboozle

As a NYC Reservoir Permit Holder, I get these emails so I figured I'd post it here if anyone is interested. I attached the flyer as well.

(Mods feel free to move or delete if inappropriate):

Dear Boaters,

The New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is excited to announce an online boat auction running from June 12 to June 22, 2024. Boats are located at DEP offices in Downsville, Grahamsville, and Mahopac.

All bidding will be conducted online, and each boat has multiple pictures available on the auction site. There will be no in-person viewings. The auction will be accessible starting June 12, 2024, via http://www.publicsurplus.com. Please note, boats won't be viewable online until this date.

Attachments

• June 2024 Boat Auction Flyer.pdf
    584.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
May I ask if you keep a boat at one of the NYC reservoirs? If so, how is it working out?

A few years ago, I watched several videos from a guy who caught some beautiful browns rowing around while trolling. Since then, I've thought about doing it myself, but I just don't get the time. I'm hoping that will change in less than two years, when I plan to retire.

Thanks.

May I ask if you keep a boat at one of the NYC reservoirs? If so, how is it working out?

A few years ago, I watched several videos from a guy who caught some beautiful browns rowing around while trolling. Since then, I've thought about doing it myself, but I just don't get the time. I'm hoping that will change in less than two years, when I plan to retire.

Thanks.

No boat...

But when I lived in NYC, I used to fish the reservoirs often. However, the 2nd time I did, I ALMOST got busted for fishing without a permit so I hustled myself to the NYSDEC office in the World Trade Center and got a permit.

Even though I haven't fished any of the NYC reservoirs in decades, I've renewed my permit every time it expires.

I have a buddy with a second house near Cannonsville. He had one boat years ago. He keeps grabbing them at auctions. Think he has 5 at Cannonsville and 3 at Pepacton. They are in different parts around the lake for different winds or levels.

Is the fishing good? According to the pictures he shows me.... absolutely

The fishing is good...

FWIW - You also need a permit if you fish near the outflows like I used to do on the Esopus.

Speaking of Pepacton, many moons ago during a severe drought when the reservoir was drawn down, a buddy and I walked all over the bottom and saw tree stumps, old roadways and house foundations.

It was eerie...

Back