Now they want to drill near Yellowstone.

that's good, just think about the jobs!!!
(that's all in sarcasim in case you didn't know)

Well they've already turned the Pinedale Anticline into Swiss cheese. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. WY is very pro drill.

It's interesting that they call the greater Yellowstone ecosystem south of Jackson WY. While I don't necessarily agree with the drilling there they invoke the Yellowstone name to add hype to the issue. I have spent a bit of time in Jacksonville and know a number of natives. They don't consider Jacksonville part of Yellowstone. This tends to discredit the issue and defocus attention to the main question.

I think the point of the article was that jackson is a tourist hotspot, their entire economy is tourism. having drilling pads close to jackson could harm that industry. I do agree that they are using the name to generate enthusiam for their cause, but I can't blame them.

I checked the location they intend to drill. This is almost 40 miles SE of Jackson. Well away from the national parks.

Ummm.... Jackson is in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. I am pretty sure 40 miles south of Jackson is also in the ecosystem and a National Forest. See map.

Attachments

• gyemap.jpg
    gyemap.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 5
Franklin. Hype? You joking? Last I checked 40 miles for an animal to move is not much. Its all connected in some way.

franklin wrote:
I checked the location they intend to drill. This is almost 40 miles SE of Jackson. Well away from the national parks.

There isn't a fence around Yellowstone contrary to what many tourists believe. It isn't a zoo. Animals that are in Yellowstone Park have a vast migration route that drilling will certainly affect.

vcregular wrote:
Franklin. Hype? You joking? Last I checked 40 miles for an animal to move is not much. Its all connected in some way.

I have hunted elk out west, yes they can migrate a long way. Sometimes moving 10 miles a day. ( I know I have followed them on horseback for days.)

The greater yellowstone ecosystem is more of a concept of a contiguous forest area. You can find half a dozen maps all covering different boundaries.

Yes, I've been to Yellowstone a few times. I realize the fence at the gate only goes a few feet to either side.

franklin wrote:
vcregular wrote:

I have hunted elk out west, yes they can migrate a long way. Sometimes moving 10 miles a day. ( I know I have followed them on horseback for days.)

The greater yellowstone ecosystem is more of a concept of a contiguous forest area. You can find half a dozen maps all covering different boundaries.

Yes, I've been to Yellowstone a few times. I realize the fence at the gate only goes a few feet to either side.

So cause you hunted Elk out West you are an expert as to where Yellowstones Ecosystem starts and ends??? Every map I have looked at shows Jackson and the surrounding area in the Yellowstone Ecosystem. Including govt maps. Of course maybe the drillers have their own map of the ecosystem which I am sure would just include the park boundries. Please show us a map that has the Jackson area outside of Yellowstones Ecosystem and I will show you ten that include Jackson.

Back