November Sullivan County

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

Here's where I feel the effects of the cutback in the Fall trout stocking. My family will be staying at my brother-in-law's place in Dushore for the Thanksgiving weekend. Of course my dad and I will be looking for trout fishing. Normally, not a problem. There are so many great wild streams in that area that finding trout is a piece of cake.

The problem in November, of course, is that the wild trout will be spawning. So I was looking at the Fall trout stocking schedule. The only place that got a Fall stocking in Sullivan is some lake. No stocking on the Sock or any place like that. Any of you guys who know the area have any suggestions? I'd think we'd be cool driving up to an hour, probably and hour and a half one way. PMs are fine.
Thanks
Squatch

Bowman Creek is about 35 miles from Dushore, and it's on the state fall stocking list. I haven't fished it for a long long time, but I recall it was a pretty decent stream to fish.

Is that Lycoming County, Outsider? I'm a little rusty on that area of the state. I don't know it as well as I know the Potter/Clinton/Tioga areas.

No, wrong direction. It's east of Dushore near the town of Tunkhannock in Wyoming County.

Okay gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the fall stocking lists for Wyoming County as well.

Bowman's is in Wyoming County. You are also within reach of Harvey's Creek in Luzerne, both about 40 miles according to Google maps. Go down PA487 and across PA118.

Or, just fish for holdover stockies in Sullivan Co. There should be a good number around with the cool summer that we had this year.

Thought about that, Mike. I fished World's End two summers ago. I took a water temp and it was 69ish, and I caught several rainbows in the faster waters. It's beautiful back in there.

Fish bowmans and you have to use a bowmans hellraiser woven nymph!

Not familiar with the area but I would think trout will have finished spawning on 90% of the wild trout streams up there by thanksgiving weekend. I could be wrong. maybe it won't make a difference in your choice of water anyway. Post spawn trout are usually pretty wimpy fighters anyway until they get a chance to eat and restore their energy.

Yeah I've always been uncomfortable catching "spawned out" trout. They just seem so frail. You may be right though...the spawn will mostly likely be over there. Gotta switch mindsets, 'cause I haven't seen any redds down in my neck of the woods yet.

Sasquatch, doubt you will find spawning fish in the special regs. area of Bowman Creek if you decide to fish it (from what I read about it ).

You will find trout in the Loyalsock this fall and by then they will probably be finished spawning, given the cool down expected this weekend. Brookies will be done by then too, I'd be more concerned that there will be hunters out.

PM sent.

Back