Not on a fly, but....

SBecker

SBecker

I love doing a little night fishing with friends on Beltzville lake, as you never know what you are going to catch. When I am fishing from shore, I just use cut bait or chicken livers, for catfish, stripers, small mouth, musky, or walleye. When I am on a boat with my buddy we spend a good three hours right at dusk and dark catching alewives for bait and trolling at a 3rd of a mile an hour around the pillars of the dam.

Last night was our first time of the year out on the boat and it was exciting. We take turns trying to net the alewives and the other person throws some large lures around try to catch something big concentrating on the baitfish.

Right when we set up for alewives, fish started crashing the surface all around the boat. we could only hook up with one 20+ walleye and a nice smallie, but the larger fish were everywhere. and they made there presence known. Next time I will take my 7wt and toss some large streamers or that horrible Steeler popper that Bruno tied me. I think it was Bruno, correct me if I am wrong.

After catching 10 alewives we decided to start trolling. 5 minutes in and I had my first striper of the season, nothing huge, but it felt great hearing the drag scream off the reel. Right as we netted mine, my buddies rod got hammered and he missed one. Within an hour we had 4 stripers and missed or lost 5. we were able to salvage a dead alewive that the striper crushed, but did not get. We laughed with joy on how good the fishing was and decided to drop the dead alewive down to 30 feet and try to troll with it, such we had no bait and no other choice. Before we could even begin to start to troll, the rod got smacked and I landed a 10+lb channel. The picture is my buddy holding it, because I am a little girl when it comes to touching catfish LOL.

What a way to start the Beltzville night fishing season. As much as I love fly fishing, hanging out with a good friend at night trolling deep water for large fish is just fantastic.

Attachments

• DSCF2690.jpg
    DSCF2690.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF2691.jpg
    DSCF2691.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2692.jpg
    DSCF2692.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2693.jpg
    DSCF2693.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2695.jpg
    DSCF2695.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2696.jpg
    DSCF2696.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2697.jpg
    DSCF2697.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2698.jpg
    DSCF2698.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 3
Nice catch, wuss. :lol:

Nice catch, why not troll with the fly rod ?? use a lead head to get down..How deep are you trolling. We used to troll just under the surface there at night..

20-35ft Sand

40-45 feet of leadcore with mono shooting line will get ya there, its not casting but fun..

Thanks Sand, one day I might invest in a set up like that. Heading out again tonight, hopefully we smack em.

Nice fish. Sounds like a good time and probably not too much boat traffic with it being dark out.

Is that a channel cat or flathead?

BPS wrote:
Is that a channel cat or flathead?

It's definitely a channel cat. Flatheads have a squared tail.

your friend's intensity is intense. he's like angry dad intense.

Yep, always tell him to smile, just refuses, must be a hilljack thing.

Back