North Platte/ Miracle mile

T

Trike234

Hey guy! Been here a long time same name different account. Dont post much but I’m always lurking.
I’m headed to Cheyenne for two weeks first week in June to visit family. I know it’s likely at least one or two people here that have fished the mile. I have few questions perhaps someone here can answer. I appreciate any advice in advance.

My main question is simple. Is there a lot if access or opportunities to fish from the bank or are we talking completely out of the question? I fish larger streams and rivers chasing steelhead so I feel confident I can catch fish as long as it’s access.
Is it a fly fishing only regulated river? I’m having trouble actually finding the answer to that. While fly fishing is my number one I’m never afraid to be that guy and bust out a centerpin. Might not make a lot of friends but I’d like to maximize my opportunities especially fishing from shore being at a large disadvantage.
Either way I really appreciate any info anyone might have. Thanks a ton guys!

I fished the North Platte in the Miracle Mile for a day and also fished a second day downstream in Casper. The Miracle Mile at average or lower flows is definitely fishable from the bank via wading. I fished both areas from the bank although in Casper it is a little more challenging. I was surprised at the amount of pressure in the Miracle Mile given the remoteness of the area. On my particular day, it was very busy with a combination of drift boats and waders. Frankly, I was a little disappointed as it didn’t live up to its reputation when I visited it.

Conversely, I did great in Casper as I found a small wadeable area and rising fish. Caught a ton of rainbows including some very large ones. The pressure in Casper was surprisingly low. Only two drift boats and no waders. However, there is limited areas to wade in Casper as the river is a little wider and deeper. YMMV…

My son lived in South Dakota for a few years and he would make weekend trips with his buddy to fish there regularly in fall and winter. Always bank fishing and he said access was good. He got a lot of big fish. Alcova was a place I remember him talking about.

Back