North Branch Potomac flotable cfs range

Streamhawk

Streamhawk

Hello all! Looking to float the North Branch of the Potomac this June/July. Was wondering what range of CFS is good for float fishing. We will be floating Westernport to McCoole. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello all! Looking to float the North Branch of the Potomac this June/July. Was wondering what range of CFS is good for float fishing. We will be floating Westernport to McCoole. Any help would be appreciated.
I won't float Westernport to McCoole at anything less than 250 from JRL and +/- 75 out of Savage. It might be possible with a smaller raft below those flows, but you'll likely have to get out and drag in a few spots.

I won't float Westernport to McCoole at anything less than 250 from JRL and +/- 75 out of Savage. It might be possible with a smaller raft below those flows, but you'll likely have to get out and drag in a few spots.
Agree with Silverfox the only thing I will add is that sometimes George's creek can add some water into the equation. Maybe not a ton in June/July though, here is a link to the gauge.Georges

Thanks for the info, really appreciate that. With the low in mind, what would you say is the high cfs when you won't float to fish.

Agree with Silverfox the only thing I will add is that sometimes George's creek can add some water into the equation. Maybe not a ton in June/July though, here is a link to the gauge.Georges
Thanks for the heads up on George's creek, appreciate that. Looking forward to fly fishing it, have heard good things about this part of the river.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate that. With the low in mind, what would you say is the high cfs when you won't float to fish.
If I had to set an upper limit to float/fish I'd say 600 out of JRL. Even that is pushing it for the fish though IMO. They like stable flows in the 200-400 range, and if floating it, again, ideally around 300-400 is best.

If I had to set an upper limit to float/fish I'd say 600 out of JRL. Even that is pushing it for the fish though IMO. They like stable flows in the 200-400 range, and if floating it, again, ideally around 300-400 is best.
Again, much appreciated. Right now the NB Potomac @ Luke is 1620 cfs and the lower Savage is 304 cfs, so she's ripping right now. Thanks again for the information!! Looking forward to floating it soon.

Back