No question, just wanted to brag about my find....

sight_nymph_17109

sight_nymph_17109

I just scored a NEW Ross Rhythm for CHEAP(1/3 of regular retail price!!!) The reel is part of a self funded raffle for the Catskill JAM. Grand prize at this time is a Reddington RS4, 9' 4 wt & Ross Rhythm 1.5 If anyone else wants to donate, let me know. I think Josh is custom making some shadow boxes out of red oak for fly displays.

ALSO

Scored a new Galvan OB3 for $200! Not overly familar with their product but it was too good of a deal to pass. There goes my grocery money for the next month, nothing but cup o noodles til September.

You might be more of gear whore then I am!!!!

I am. I should have ebay blocked from my computer.

Not bad sight but keep your eyes peeled. There are better deals to be had. Last year I picked 2 Galvan T-10s and 2 T-12s (torque series) for around 200 a piece. Kept 1 T-10 for salmon and the rest went to Ebay. So in the end I got a free reel and made an additional few hundred bucks. Not a bad deal. Sometimes you just get lucky.

It's sickening how much time I spend snooping around the net for closeouts and sales and such on gear. If my wife knew she would probably feel like I'm cheating. I've got a gear fetish, what can I say?

Enjoy the Galvan!

SOS,

Between me and my buddy Josh, here's what we found in the last 12 months....

St Croix avid, 9' 6wt, new...120
St Croix Legend Ultra, 9' 5wt, new... 170
Orvis Mid Arbor w/ wonderline, new... 129
Sage FLI 9', 4wt, new... 134
Ross Evolution w/ rio grand line, new... 179
2 Rhythms, new... 140 and 87
Loomis Current reel, new... 170
Sage TCR 9' 5wt, new marked demo... 350

I agree with you. If you are patient, you can get a killer deal. There was a Galvan Torque 4 on there for 219 and a Ross Vexis, loaded w/ backing and SA GPX for 232! I was afraid of issues w/ the vexis and got the OB instead.

I thought about that Vexis that Wayne had listed. You will really like the Galvin OB3.

I talked to Rachel in the shop and she said quite a few of the vexis have been returned. I also read a review on the reel that stated the fit and finish were so good that one grain of sand caused the spool to lock up. They are using some type of ceramic and delrin drag system that is new and may not be perfected yet. I got the Galvan from Silver Crk Fly Shop and he also had sold the vexis and had clients that had issues with the reel.

The one Wayne had was loaded w/ SA GPX line. $325 reel with $69 line for $232 was hard to pass up but I got cold feet. My understanding is that Galvans are all but bullet proof. I'm not too sure of the drag on the OB model because it's different than the Torque and Rush models. Very simple looking, super durable, great reviews and lifetime warranty.

Who really isn't a gear whore? We are fly fisherman, it comes with the territory. Some say A Sporting Lifestyle is my second home I have a tendancy to be there sometimes once a week. Even tho I don't have much time at all to get out and fish, still buying flies, leader, shopping around, shooting the bull, etc.

I jumped on that deal from Orvis, either earlier this year, or late last year. When they had buy a Helios and get a Battenkill LA free. I got the line at a discount also I think. Have yet to use it other than casting, man does it cast beautiful. Hard going back to my St. Croix imperial.

Back