NJ Snakeheads

Fredrick

Fredrick

Looks like are friends from FDR park are taking over across the river . They invaded pretty much every tidal water way in NJ and are now residing in many of the lakes in NJ that spill into tidal creeks. I'm really surprised that I am not hearing about them being caught in some of the creeks in DELCO like Chester or Ridley creeks. I do know that they have been caught in the lower tidal section of John Heinz Wildlife refuge aka Darby creek. I have fished for them a few times with no success.

http://www.onthewater.com/new-jersey-snakeheads/

I want to take a snakehead trip and then have a delicious feast.

Fred although I have not yet targeted them yet. Ive seen them while catfish fishing bellow the art museum. The make very noticeable wakes and swim really fast. They were smashing bait. Reminded me of blufish. Talked to some local guys who fish the river every night and they said they are very difficult to catch. One guy showed me a picture of one and said the only way he has caught them is by snagging them. Ive heard it from a few guys even a video on YouTube of it. That being said I dont think its out of the question to get one on the fly.

Have some prime snakehead areas to fish over here in jersey, all trips of the Delaware river. We use Perch, Bluegill, shad, and killie patterns. My buddy has nailed a few on a Foam pattern and also big nymphs. They are a great and hit as hard as a blue fish. Good eats also! If your on this side of a bridge send me a message I will take you to the spots I know.

Another possible explanation regarding the disconnect between the Pa population and the NJ population is that FDR Park Lakes in Phila were not the source of the NJ fish. Consider the possibility that NJ may have had its own source(s). Snakeheads were reported to me as being well up NJ tribs before they were being seen in a number of Pa tribs. Likewise, they made a big leap to a lower Bucks Co lake and the Delaware River from near that lake up to and beyond Trenton.before they were seen in Phila tribs in between .

SNJChef wrote:
Have some prime snakehead areas to fish over here in jersey, all trips of the Delaware river. We use Perch, Bluegill, shad, and killie patterns. My buddy has nailed a few on a Foam pattern and also big nymphs. They are a great and hit as hard as a blue fish. Good eats also! If your on this side of a bridge send me a message I will take you to the spots I know.

I will definitely take you up on that offer PM coming shortly

Mike wrote:
Another possible explanation regarding the disconnect between the Pa population and the NJ population is that FDR Park Lakes in Phila were not the source of the NJ fish. Consider the possibility that NJ may have had its own source(s). Snakeheads were reported to me as being well up NJ tribs before they were being seen in a number of Pa tribs. Likewise, they made a big leap to a lower Bucks Co lake and the Delaware River from near that lake up to and beyond Trenton.before they were seen in Phila tribs in between .

Yes very fishy Mike

marcq wrote:
Fred although I have not yet targeted them yet. Ive seen them while catfish fishing bellow the art museum. The make very noticeable wakes and swim really fast. They were smashing bait. Reminded me of blufish. Talked to some local guys who fish the river every night and they said they are very difficult to catch. One guy showed me a picture of one and said the only way he has caught them is by snagging them. Ive heard it from a few guys even a video on YouTube of it. That being said I dont think its out of the question to get one on the fly.

Let me know if you can find a place to put a yak in down there and we can fish the dam together I hear it is loaded with hybrids

Some people down here in D.C. have gotten obsessed with them.

The following video is of Rob Snowhite catching a nice snakehead on the Tidal Basin (in the shadow of the Washington Monument).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su98vzQZE2w

and the the photo on the Tidal Potomac Flyrodders homepage is another nice one.
http://tpfr.org/faq.htm

It seems like the snakehead population has peaked and started to decrease on the Potomac. Biomass might be the same, but they haven't been the disaster that everyone feared. They do seem to be difficult to catch, but supposedly if you can get them angry enough, they will slash at anything.

Back