Nittany Lion Musky Fly

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I tied this fly in the colors of my favorite college football team. I was only going to make it a single, but as I kept looking at it I decided to go with and articulated set up on this guy.

I didn't measure the fly yet but I think its around 14" In length. The hackle came from Sideling Hill, from Evan Brant. I love the quality of these saddles and will be ordering more for sure. Nice and flexible.

I am going on my first trip actually focusing on musky this weekend. Will be fishing some tail waters, and am not sure how well I will do but its worth a shot I guess. I am debating if I want to try and cast this fly or not. It took me roughly 2 hours total to complete it. I did pause in between a few times to work on nymphs.

By far musky flies are my favorite. The sport is relatively new, there aren't strict proportions, and it is really fun to just sit down and tie.

I cant help but laugh as I would never imagine that would ever tie a fly that is roughly 14" Long. But I am chomping at the bit to go after these fish. First time in my life that I will not be trout fishing on Opening day.

Attachments

• Nittany Lion.jpg
    Nittany Lion.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Nittany lion 2.jpg
    Nittany lion 2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Nittany lion 3.jpg
    Nittany lion 3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 6
  • Nittany lion 4.jpg
    Nittany lion 4.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Nittany lion 5.jpg
    Nittany lion 5.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 6
Eh I hate it when people say its Penn State colors and it turns out to be sky blue! Penn State is a dark navy blue! lol There is a Mustang that drives around Bellefonte/State College with a big PSU logo on it and that the car is roughly that same blue and it drives me crazy!

Other then that the fly looks great! Definitely a beast of a fly!

Back