Nippers

H

hectortmc

Can you justify using a 50.00 to 100.00? Or just use a cheap pair.
Your thoughts on this.

I was given a $20ish pair as a gift, currently using those. Before that...it was a pair of old nail clippers for free. If I lose the $20 pair, it'll be back to the nail clippers.

I use my teeth. Bad I know, but they are always handy.

I do carry the cheap ones and will use them from time to time.

I have probably 15k+ in fly fishing related items and I use 99 cent nail clippers

I received a pair of Simms ($50) nippers for fathers day from my daughter, I like them and think they're better than a $6 pair, but it would be hard for me to justify buying them myself.

i think the big difference in nippers depends on what you need to cut. the cheap ones are great for trout fishing and fancy nippers are certainly overkill for 2x or thinner tippet. but once you get to salt water stuff...20lb or heavier tippet, wire bite, etc, the more expensive nippers definitely make a huge difference and one can make an argument for expensive nippers value/worth. that being said, ive come to use hemos with a mid scissor section to cut heavy stuff...of course i found the scissor hemos for $10 after spending the dough on expensive nippers.

Never use your teeth.

I did that and it caused the front of one of my incisors to shear off, requiring expensive dental repair.

I use 99 cent nail clippers from the drugstore.

Whatever nippers I can find at ****s for 3 bucks. No I can't justify 50 to 100 bucks on nippers.

Nippers became a thing of the past for me when I bought a pair of hemostats with built in scissors.

hectortmc wrote:
Can you justify using a 50.00 to 100.00?

No.

The idea that the improved perfomance and longevity - assuming this is even true - would equal the difference in price seems laughable to me.

Another way that clever marketing separates well-to-do FFers from their money.

Dave_W wrote:
hectortmc wrote:
Can you justify using a 50.00 to 100.00?

No.

The idea that the improved perfomance and longevity - assuming this is even true - would equal the difference in price seems laughable to me.

Another way that clever marketing separates well-to-do FFers from their money.

+1

No. I might have spent $10 on the ones I have now, with a little needle on the end for clearing hook eyes and a nail knot tool I never use, but I am not nearly responsible enough for the >$50 nippers on the market.

I lose dollar store nail clippers almost as fast as I can buy them. I'm far too careless with them to even think about buying something expensive to lose. But lately I've been using a small pair of scissors that fit nicely into a small pouch on my chest pack. I've had them since sometime in 2016. I'll keep using them until I lose them too. One nice about them is they work great for trimming some material from a fly if I feel like it's necessary.
As long as it cuts I don't really care how cheap it is. I'm not trying to display my wealth via my nippers.

Cheapos for me. Baker nippers. I like them cause they are larger then fingernail clippers which is what I used to use. $4 and change for them and last me almost a year.

TCO has Simms nippers on sale for $30. Get em while their hot

I have never and will never buy a pair of nippers. Honestly, what's the point? They are all ripoffs. Buy a pair of nail clippers and be done with it. After all nippers are just nail clippers that are stripped of the actual leveraging tool that makes cutting through things so easy. Paying more for less technology that doesn't cut through things as easily makes no sense to me.

I understand the pro-nail clipper argument but usually buy low end nippers by the half dozen from Les Rutledge, "The Fish Guy" out in the Bitterroot Valley. They're $2 each, have the little pin to open fly eyes. I need this because I'm an indifferent tyer. I run 4 vests at once. One for trout, one for smallmouth, one for LMB/panfish out of the kayak and the last one, umm, I forget what it's for, but its important... Oh! It's for the small stream bass and late season trout spin fishing vest I use. So, I buy nippers in volume so I always have a set as well as a spare for all the vests.

I always liked dealing with Les. He's a good guy who has done a lot for Montana streams and youth angling education.

Anyway, the main reason I don't use nail clippers is that I also use cheap zingers and regular drug store nail clippers are heavy enough to cause my zinger cord to begin to distend a lot quicker than it normally does with the Fish Guy nippers. I suppose I could buy better zingers, but I also get them from Less for $4 each..

I've now exhausted everything I know about this subject...:)

RLeep2 wrote:
I understand the pro-nail clipper argument but usually buy low end nippers by the half dozen from Les Rutledge, "The Fish Guy" out in the Bitterroot Valley. They're $2 each, have the little pin to open fly eyes. I need this because I'm an indifferent tyer. I run 4 vests at once. One for trout, one for smallmouth, one for LMB/panfish out of the kayak and the last one, umm, I forget what it's for, but its important... Oh! It's for the small stream bass and late season trout spin fishing vest I use. So, I buy nippers in volume so I always have a set as well as a spare for all the vests.

I always liked dealing with Les. He's a good guy who has done a lot for Montana streams and youth angling education.

Anyway, the main reason I don't use nail clippers is that I also use cheap zingers and regular drug store nail clippers are heavy enough to cause my zinger cord to begin to distend a lot quicker than it normally does with the Fish Guy nippers. I suppose I could buy better zingers, but I also get them from Less for $4 each..

I've now exhausted everything I know about this subject...:)

Good point. I've basically given up on zingers as well. I've never found one that truly satisfied me. They always broke early no matter what I bought. I did have one good one but then it somehow got lost on a hike in to a stream and there went my thermometer and my hemostats.

Now I just put everything in a pocket of my sling pack or my clothing. If I drop it I use the magnet on my net to grab it.....but sometimes things are just gone.

I always used drug store nail clippers. Then about 4 years ago I bought a fishpond nipper. I must admit it is very sharp.

Back