Next swap

ian_brown

ian_brown

When is the next swap? Am I guaranteed to get a humpinator if I participate?

Usually during the winter, but I'm sure we could organize one.

I'd be in.

God I hope this pattern does become a running joke on this site. I mean, we've given these kids enough attention already. Let it go.

I'd be up for it. How about a themed Fly swapp. Maybe a steel head / salmon fly swap or a bass / panfish swap.

I like the bass/panfish idea. Also, terrestrials are a good idea IMO.

Well as soon as someone volunteers to host, we can do a poll to find out what kind of flies to tie...by Dec. we should be ready.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

tomgamber wrote:
.... ...by Dec. we should be ready.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me, I think it is about time for me to start organizing next year's Smoky Mountains Adventure. I'm thinking of trying for a date a week or two earlier in April.

What all's involved in organizing?

I don't know if I'd be able to or not, but we should put it out there to see if anyone is willing to bite the bullet.

I'd vote for terrestrials, although bassbugs would be interesting too. Also, I'd be willing organize, but my kids are due in October.

Here's an idea to motivate people to join in:

a "secret fly" swap. Tie up a few of your most prized pattern. Then we start a thread to rave about how neat they all are and refuse to share photos and recipes with anyone who doesn't participate!

;-)

We'd be the coolest kids on the net.

jayL wrote:
What all's involved in organizing?

I can't do it, but have in the past. The "swapmeister" does this:

1. calls for participants with a deadline to notify him/her of commitment and limits of number of participants (tying more than 20 flies is a burden to most people, I think; in fact, 15-18 is a more comfortable number;

2. Once entries are closed (or even from the very start), swapmeister sets deadline for flies to be sent to him/her and makes everyone provide a "share-able" e-mail address so swapmeister can get out rules and status updates with a single group e-mail;

3. When the flies arrive (with prepaid self-addressed return envelope/box), swapmeister divides the flies, sending everyone back one of each.

4. Someone takes pictures and gathers recipes and instructions (in an electronic format) and sends them to me if they wish to add to our swap pages.

5. Participants receive their flies and go fish them if they want.

How many flies do you typically tie to send?

Count me in for the swap!
I may be able to host, but can't make that commitment until at least November, so if someone else wants the host duties then that is good.
I like the terrestrial swap idea.

CaptMatt wrote:
How many flies do you typically tie to send?

See the other thread where the swap is organizing. If there are 15 participants, each would tie 14 of the same fly and send them in. one would go in each of the other 14 participants' return package. You would receive back one of each other persons' fly. It is nice when each person ties something different, but even two different versions of a beetle is nice, for instance, or a black ant, red ant, fly ant, etc.

Back