newbie question

mcfet

mcfet

Hello all. new to the board. I'm looking to get into fly fishing this year. I'm not sure what size or brand rod/reel would be good to get started. I was thinking a 5. I'm trying to find a decent used combo. I don't want to spend to much until I know what is right for me. Any advice or direction to used gear would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the PAFF forums.
Yes, a five weight fly rod - known as 5WT in fly fishing writing - is the way to go. Look for a rod in the range of 8 or 8.5 feet long. Don't worry much about "action" but if you care to: "medium" or "medium/fast" would be good. I'd recommend a "weight forward floating" (WFF) line. A rod like this is what most fly fishermen use for trout fishing and will cover a lot of bases. If you're looking at used combos you ought to be able to get a good starter set-up for under $100 (maybe under $50). A lot of fly fishing gear is very expensive but not necessary for a beginner.

Yeah, a 9 ft 5 wt is the PA standard fly rod for medium and large streams. 9 ft is a little long, though, for smaller waters. By getting an 8 or 8.5 footer, you have a rod that, even if it's not the perfect tool for every stream, is plenty servicable just about anywhere in PA.

While you can find very good rods at good prices, I would encourage you to get a half decent rod. If you get a crappy one, as you get better, it'll be useless. If you get a better rod, it'll always be a good rod for you.

Getting a good rod, though, doesn't mean you have to lay down mega bucks for a Loomis, Sage, or Orvis brand. Cortland, TFO, and others make very good fly rods at reasonable prices. They typically skimp a little on the aesthetics, but they fish just fine. Or, you can always go used. I agree with Fishidiot, you should look for something described as medium-fast for a beginner rod meant for all-purpose fishing.

As far as the reel, you can skimp a little more on that. For most "regular" trout fishing, the reel is little more than a place to hold line.

Buy a line, backing, and leader, and ask a reputable fly shop to set up your system. The backing and leader are very cheap. A fly line, though, will cost you at least $30 and the better ones run upwards of $50. Keep in mind that, with care, it should last you for years. Again, I agree with Fishidiot, get a weight forward (WF) floating line in a 5 wt size. As far as taper, anything that says trout or shows a picture of a trout on the box will be fine.

A wheel of micro shot, some flies, and some floatant, and you're ready to go!

I would suggest a 8.5' med fast action 5 wt. Its a good general purpose rod.

Sometimes fly shops except trade in rods and sell them.
It could be an option.

For fly line, right now the Orvis website has their beginner line (Clearwater) on sale for $19.

If you shop around you can usually find a deal. I like to support local shops but on my budget I have to go for the best deal, often that means used or close out/clearance. A decent rod being clearanced is the TFO signature series. Some places may still charge full price but I've seen them for as low as $60 brand new. Actually I bought one for that price.

Cortland has starter kits, just don't go too cheap, you'll want to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Welcome to the board. Good advice so far. I would add that you don't need to spend much on the reel. The reel serves to hold your line and balance the rod. You don't need a fancy drag on a trout rod, especially for the beginner.

Dave,

I PM'd you a couple suggestions to consider.

Try local first.

I starterd trout fishing with a redington crosswater 5wt outfit. Now they run about $140 for the 4 peice. Its a great outfit for starting out and a good value for the price.

The PA outdoors show in harrisburg typically has a Cortland booth where the guys practically give away new fly lines. That could be a source to get you that aspect of your set up.

Dave, welcome aboard. Check Cabellas as they have outfits on sale that are good values. Bargan Cave items are lots cheaper. GG

I have a 7'6" 4wt and can provide a reel. If your interested I'll sell it.

Chaz, If mcfet is not interested in your offer, i am. I am looking to get my first trout rod. Thanks

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to the Harrisburg sportsman show. Now I know what to look for. Hoping to find a nice used setup there. Or a deal... Glad I found this board. Tons of good info here. I'm looking forward dot checking out that newbie jam. Looks like just what i need to get started.
Thanks again

http://www.stcroixrods.com/shop/catalog/Fly-25-1.html#Triumph_Fly_Rod_8_6_5_Weight_4_Piece-228-25.html

$55. Seems like a great price. I think I'll get it and just look for a reel.

mcfet wrote:
http://www.stcroixrods.com/shop/catalog/Fly-25-1.html#Triumph_Fly_Rod_8_6_5_Weight_4_Piece-228-25.html

$55. Seems like a great price. I think I'll get it and just look for a reel.

I have an older St. Croix rod. I can't think of the model now but it's 9ft-5wt. I like it a lot. I think they make nice rods.

Back