Newbie introduction from western PA

steveo27

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Steve, I'm 28 years old,
and I'm a fly fishing newbie from western PA.

I've been fishing since I could walk but I've never fly fished before.

Recently on a weekend trout trip to Mill Creek near Clarion, my girlfriend started talking about wanting to learn to fly fish. I rolled with it and agreed it would be fun to learn. I had recently taught her how to fish with a spinning reel last year.

We have this old, old, old fly rod and reel that came from my Grandfather that I've messed with a few times just practice casting in the yard, but I've never used it in the water, so I have a basic idea of casting. I dug it out so we could practice casting.

Anywho....

After ALOT of research and reading, I ended up finding this website.

After more research, I ended up picking up a rod/reel combo from Cabella's last Friday after work. Went with a 7'6" 3 weight Cabella's Three Forks rod and a Prestige reel - seemed like a decent starter set up for a good price. I also picked up a assorted pack of "classic trout flies" to mess with until I could learn more.

Saturday, me and the old lady were on a mission to go out and spend the day getting more acquainted with fly fishing.

We ended up in Volant. The deal was if I took her to the winery, I could fish the rest of the day.

We fished the DHALO of Neshannock from the covered bridge up.

After about an hour of having nothing but creek chubs strike, I ended up hooking up with a rainbow on a stimulator fly.

914697_694005873967887_768144538_n.jpg

First trout on a fly rod. Such a rush compared to fishing with a spinning reel and live minnie.

After that fish, my girlfriend wanted to try, on her 3rd cast she hooked into another rainbow out of the same hole.

(no picture, fish flopped out of her hands before I could get my phone out)

We spent the rest of the day taking turns fishing under the covered bridge. Had a few more hits, but wasnt able to set the hook.

So...

Sunday, we went out again. This time, we ended up at the FFO section of Dunbar Creek near Uniontown. I caught another rainbow, this time on a light Cahill. I ended up missing 3 more because of operator error. My girlfriend missed 2.

I think its safe to say I have a new hobby

:beer:

Or do you BOTH have a new hobby? Welcome.

Very cool. Success is the best teacher and you have an excellent start. Lots of terrific tips and advice can be found here.

Thanks guys!

You're right, we BOTH do. She wants her own rod set up already.

Im looking forward to reading more information on here. The 2 things that most interested in learning how to read hatches/what the fish are eating and finding new spots to fish.

There barely any places here in SWPA to do any good fishing, so we usually travel north of I-80 (Mill Creek, Cathers Run, Salmon Creek, ect) or to the Laurel Highlands.

I'm looking forward to checking out more DHALO areas.

Fly fishing is bringing a whole other experience to the sport I already love.

Great! I wish my wife would get more interested in flies as opposed to bait. She just takes the fly rod and uses a redworm lol. I am slowly getting her into nymphing but she gets frustrated too easily to cast dries. I'm glad to hear you are having a good time, and that's a good first day with flies!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of fun here.

GenCon

Welcome.

Congratulations to both of you on your success.

Welcome to the forum. It's great to hear about your success.

That old rod that belonged to your grandfather, can you provide details on it?

RCFetter wrote:
Welcome to the forum. It's great to hear about your success.

That old rod that belonged to your grandfather, can you provide details on it?[/quote]

I believe it has no markings other than the length and weight on it. Its fiberglass and reminds me of something Montgomery Wards would have sold in the late 60s.

I'll snap a few pictures of it this weekend.

Welcome to the Jungle!

You are both lucky and unlucky to have your better half want to fish.

Now you'll spend twice as much on gear!! 🙂

Whoah! Man I thought I was the only Steve from western PA haha! Glad you had some success. The ones you miss make you come back for more (operator error is pretty common whenever I fish also). Welcome to the most informative site on the web.

Great link. Looking forward to reading through it.

A good friend of mine and his fiance moved to a suburb of Youngstown recently, so we've been visiting them alot. Good news is we went the long way yesterday to visit them. The long way just so happens to be through Volant....

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob at the fly shop and got to talking to him. Turns out he grew up about 2 miles down the road from me. Small world.

There barely any places here in SWPA to do any good fishing

What?!

Beyond the basics of fishing, make your first priority exploring the opportunities in your own back yard in SWPA. There's tons of good fishing around these parts. 😉

Congrats on the new hobby. Perhaps I'll see yinz out on the stream sometime.

Welcome aboard. GG

Cold wrote:

What?!

Beyond the basics of fishing, make your first priority exploring the opportunities in your own back yard in SWPA. There's tons of good fishing around these parts. 😉

Congrats on the new hobby. Perhaps I'll see yinz out on the stream sometime.

Eh? Care to share some location? 🙂

Here's a way to add to your inventory with some quality flies. www.orvis.com/nftv. Check it out. A nice assortment of flies for $10.

A county or 2 east will be Ohio.. Seriously though, I'll shoot ya a PM :beer"

MD_Gene wrote:
Here's a way to add to your inventory with some quality flies. www.orvis.com/nftv Check it out. A nice assortment of flies for $10.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!

Back