Newbie Fly Collection

Z

Zach75

Hey everybody, new member here from York county. Just recently took up fly fishing after spin fishing all my life. I was wondering if anyone could recommend where to buy a large collection of flies to get started? Ideally I'd like to buy from someone here in PA so they could put together a set of common flies for around here.

I do most of my fishing in southern York county at muddy creek and the different branches of the codorus. So if anybody in that area ever wanted to do some fishing and show a newbie some tips I'd be all ears.

Zach,

There are several of us from York Co. Would be glad to fish with you sometime, although lately my time on the is quite limited and is usually on the whim.

As for the flies, how are you planning on fishing? Drys, wets, nymphs or streamers?

The usual PT, HE nymphs work well. Throw in a caddis and you should be covered.

Sulfurs (and rusty spinner) are starting to pop so they would be a good bet right now. And don't forget the tan caddis (notice my theme here) as they are fairly prevalent for most of the season.

And you can never go wrong with a black or olive wooly bugger.

If you are in a pinch for flies, Gander Mt. had some but I would recommend taking the trip to TCO in Boiling Springs or Backwater Angler in Monkton if you travel to MD often.

I would suggest wooly worms, partridge and orange and peacock and brown . A dozen of each is a good start .

a yellow wooly worm with grizzly hackle and a red tail is one of the best flies for a beginner. there is no wrong way to fish it!

Thanks for the advice guys. Stevie-B, Backwater has been where I've been getting all my stuff so far. They seem like a group of guys that are eager to help.

Zach75 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could recommend where to buy a large collection of flies
You'll learn in a hurry that you don't collect flies. You lose them.... :)

haha I've quickly been figuring that out

The Gander Mountain store in West York does not sell loose flies. All I've seen are junk, tied off shore, sold in pairs in bubble packs at higher prices than should be allowed.

The fly shop in Monkton is okay but if you would be willing to drive another ten minutes south on the Old York Road to a fly shop on the right called "Great Feathers" you will be able to find a much larger selection of well tied flies. If you drive north on I-83 to the Camp Hill exit you could try the new Field & Stream outdoor store located in (I think) the Capital City Mall. I was there twice and it is a very well appointed big box fly shop.

There are quite a few guys on this forum who belong to the Muddy Creek Chapter of TU who might be willing to get you going with a good selection of flies for that stream. Good luck.

If you don't mind buying online place here in Canada called reelflies.ca I buy from them the prices can't be beat. Our bass pro up here sells a flie for over 3 bucks. This place is average 79 cents and with your exchange be more like 65 cents.

Zach75 wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Stevie-B, Backwater has been where I've been getting all my stuff so far. They seem like a group of guys that are eager to help.

If you could find a tyer amenable to stocking your larder, that would be good, too. I wouldn't mean to impose on someone, but maybe you could find someone to tie you some number of essential patterns for $$ or for barter or some such thing. And you could get some insight on why what pattern works well. I have a snowshoe emerger and dun (the compara-dizzle) that is super easy to tie and works so well that I find it hard to justify tying on any other dry when a hatch is on and fish are rising. If this specific pattern was ever found in a fly shop's bins, I would be amazed. This would be a real help for a starting flyfisher.

Now you just have to figure out everything else!

Syl

zach75,what kind of flies do you use the most?

Zach:i Ihave a ton of flies.If you give me an idea of what flies you need now(and in the future),I'll be happy to ease the $ burden by sending you some...freebee :)
good luck on your new adventure
TL
Tom

Zach: PM me you full name and mailing address and cell phone.The latter if I'm in your area,I can drop them off

Shakey, I've been using dry flies when I can see they are rising, and then just dead drifting "junk flies" the other times.

Syl and Afishn, thank you for the offers, I PM'd you guys

i too will send you some.

dry flies are great for beginners,because you can see the take. it is also two dimensional as opposed to wet flies .

and trust me,junk flies are great for wild browns,not just stockies!

Shakey, thank you very much

Bass Pro sells flies tied in Asia under the brand Montana Fly Co. or something like that. Packs of 12 in all sizes of nearly all classic patterns. I can't recommend them enough. When I started fly fishing they were the first things I bought. Very high quality flies for the money in my opinion. Still to this day o think that they were the best elk hair caddis I've ever fished.

Go to the North American Fly Fishing Forum/Flies and Fly Boxes Classifieds/Miracle 100. Jerry Warrington aka Hairwing 530 is a Michigan cancer survivor who ties his own flies and sells them. He uses the proceeds to fund supplies for fly tying/fishing classes he gives to kids with cancer. Just tell him the area you fish and you will receive a selection of beautifully tied 115-120 dries and nymphs for your area in a great fly box with free shipping for $85. If you want any particular patterns he will accommodate. I purchased 2 Miracle 100 boxes and a Streamer box and honestly, they are better than the flies I got from my local fly shops and the online shops. Don't take my word for it. Just read the hundreds of posts in the forum. There isn't a better deal around and your $ will help fund a good cause.

Back