New York State Trout Plan

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Of interest to some, attached the latest draft of the New York State trout plan.

One big change is NY is proposing to open trout fishing year-round for C&R with articiial lures / flies. As you may know, NY closed the trout season from mid-October thru March in nearly the entire state.

Here is the verbiage in the plan >

The single biggest change proposed for the trout stream angling regulations is the addition of a
catch and release, artificial lures only season from October 16 through March 31 to provide yearround trout fishing opportunity statewide. While New York State has traditionally closed trout
stream fishing during the winter period as a precaution against the disruption of wild trout
reproduction, many states, including neighboring Pennsylvania, have sustainably managed wild
trout populations without a closed season. In New York, we have monitored trout populations in
inland trout streams that have been open to year-round angling by special regulation for over a
decade. Through this experience, the DEC has gained confidence and found that it is feasible to
sustainably manage wild trout with a winter catch and release season. Applying this regulation
statewide expands fishing opportunity for avid anglers who are motivated to fish on a catch and
release basis outside of the regular season.

NY Trout Plan

Based on the above, Pa has been somewhere in the forefront of this trout management issue. I wonder how the limited opposition in Pa. likes those apples.

I think one would have to believe that simpily allowing angling is "managing wild trout".

They have some very good fishing. Why mess with something that is working? I'll tell you why-$$$$$$.

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Good for NYS.

And good as well for Pennsylvania in its role of providing an example of measured, forward thinking wild trout management for the folks in NY to emulate as suits their specific situation.

Fisheries management does not always involve becoming more conservative. Science, scientific evidence, and scientific principles can take one in either direction or lead one to maintaining the status quo.

The hell with N.Y. I thought this was Paflyfish. If i want ny, i go to nyflyfish. Science has no play! Based on science we would be living on the moon today! Trends, involvement, climate, drought, disruption.

Do you need science to see it. I do not think so! You all see it, feel it, remember it and forget it.

More Catch and release, Artifishal only, slot limits, do this and do that! New special license, new button, new logo, new creed!

you need placement, Trout Unlimited, protect cold water, yes, not involved in limits, slots, and all the stuff that takes away from fishermen. You like the money. You have been bought and paid for by lobby's and groups and seem to forget the everyday fisherman. You have driven many away! When I say many, I would think 200,000. overall.

Funny, Virus is drying everything up. Power shift, in a sense! Maybe for good, maybe for bad. Maybe you will need the regular guy and science will prove that, every time!

Maxima12

The hell with N.Y. I thought this was Paflyfish. If i want ny, i go to nyflyfish. Science has no play! Based on science we would be living on the moon today! Trends, involvement, climate, drought, disruption.

Do you need science to see it. I do not think so! You all see it, feel it, remember it and forget it.

More Catch and release, Artifishal only, slot limits, do this and do that! New special license, new button, new logo, new creed!

you need placement, Trout Unlimited, protect cold water, yes, not involved in limits, slots, and all the stuff that takes away from fishermen. You like the money. You have been bought and paid for by lobby's and groups and seem to forget the everyday fisherman. You have driven many away! When I say many, I would think 200,000. overall.

Funny, Virus is drying everything up. Power shift, in a sense! Maybe for good, maybe for bad. Maybe you will need the regular guy and science will prove that, every time!

Maxima12

Right on maxima12, I agree.

I saw this and I do not like it at all. Keep it closed from 10/15 to 4/1. I agree they are emulating PA.

If it ain't broke, don't"fix". Bad idea for sure.

For those of you in favor of a closed season to protect the brown trout spawn, are you also in favor of closing down in the spring to protect the rainbow spawn?

I'll bite....

In that particular system, a large percentage of the brown trout spawn in the main flow (not using feeders). The rainbows on the other hand are almost strictly spawning in the feeders... and some will travel quite a distance up impassable / small feeders. I'd be 100% for the feeders being closed to fishing and to foot traffic in general. With that said, they've survived for over 100 years with no closure but it is becoming too busy up there to risk the possibility of damage

Vaughn wrote:
For those of you in favor of a closed season to protect the brown trout spawn, are you also in favor of closing down in the spring to protect the rainbow spawn?

April 1 closes it for some of the rainbow spawn. Tribs to the finger lakes get hammered for rainbows every year on 4/1. I'd be fine closing nursery areas for wild rainbows. I think certain tribs of cattaraugus should be closed to fishing period. In most of NY your lucky to see a hendrickson before 4/15 so, sure close it until 4/15 doesnt matter to me.

I guess an advantage NY has to prevent fishing in the winter is that it's usually colder than PA, and there are many more creeks that freeze and are completely unfishable all winter. And not many people are going to screw around for trout in wny or cny when the erie and/or ontario tribs are a day trip.

maxima12 wrote:

Maxima12

Cram it.

I expected a much longer post Kev but that's funny :hammer:

Every "new regulation" is never the one the river needs. If it doesn't affect # of boats in the river during peak season, or increase the number of access points - doesn't really phase me at all.

I'm all against closed seasons. After all, here at least, I'm not worried about NY, our wild trout waters see barely any pressure once hunting season and whatnot rolls around..those that do still see instense pressure, such as Spring, are booking with fish.

Where I live autumn is my favorite time to trout fish and I never see anyone out hardly.

Back