New York Fly Fishing Books?

• Thread starter Off The Path Outdoors
  • Start date
Off The Path Outdoors

Off The Path Outdoors

One thing I really want to do this fall and next spring is to take a couple of trips to NY to camp, explore, and fish new trout streams. This fall I would like to make a combo trip or two to grouse hunt and fish. I've never fished or hunted in NY so I was wondering if anybody has any good book recommendations?

I know most info can be found online these days but it's nice to have a lot of information in one place especially when traveling. Is there a book similar to Keystone Fly Fishing but for NY?

Remote areas that I would recommend:

North Central:
West Canada Creek, Prospect NY area

North East:
Adirondack Mountains, Ausable River, countless brook trout streams and ponds

South West:
Genesee River area

South Central:
Catskills which you can divide into north side and south side

North:
Brook trout streams / ponds, Esopus Creek, Schoharie Creek, brook trout streams

South:
Willowemoc, Beaverkill, brook trout streams/ ponds, Neversink gorge, Rondout Creek, Delaware River system

Insect repellent, head net pretty necessary in many areas. Close bear encounter is high probability. Rugged terrain so be ready for the hike. Hatches will be 4-6 weeks behind what you see here. Fish march brown on penns may 8th..... might see those June 18th on W Canada for example. If you're camping out, you could catch nights in the 40s in the middle of June. There is so much up there to explore you'll never scratch the surface.

I'm sure there are many informational guides and books on all of those areas except I can't really help you with that. The only book that sticks out in my mind is land of little Rivers which has to do with the Catskills. It's more of a history book with a lot of beautiful photos / artwork.

They are out of print so you need t get them used, but the Sanders Guides for Western and Central NYS are good guides to spots not familiar to many. Central NYS has some under used fishing streams.

Back