New Waders

C

Canoetripper

I just received them today and haven't fished with them yet. Dryft SEEKR @ $249.00.

My L.L. Bean waist highs are leaking. I can't have that.

Nick at Precision Fly & Tackle in Lancaster was explaining to two customers in the shop that due to the pandemic that waders are hard to get.

I got what I got while I could. I can wet wade through the summer, but when the water gets cold, I need to be prepared. I have a new dry suit that I haven't used yet.

I am going to take another beginner fly fishing course at TCO in Boiling Springs on July 10. Even though I really don't like chest waders, I am going to wear my father's Simms chest waders that I know he really never took care of.

If they don't leak, that will be a pleasant surprise for me with another pair of waders as a back up.

I really don't have to beat the brush where I fly fish so hopefully these Dryft get the job done for years to come.

Good luck with the new waders. I have looked at some of the waders by companies I never heard of. Many are in the 100-200 range and they look to be every bit as well made as the high end ones by Simms and others. Same with the boots. I rarely get two seasons out of any of them. I'm on two plus seasons with my fairly expensive Patagonia ones at the moment. So far so good.

I have some of the cheapest chest waders offered by ****'s going on over a decade now. Not one leak ever. I don't trek through thick brush however. I wash and hang dry them after each use.

I'm looking to get the SEEKRs too, as soon as they're are available, My waist high LL Beans are also spent.

Drift waders have good reviews. Overall wader durability is extremely aubjectivebto individual usage. If you only fish a few days a year for short trips, minimal walking distance and no brush busting you should expecr many years of use out of even the cheapest waders.

If your walking miles, busting brush, climbing up steep gradient streams etc yoy are going to get less use. I have a pair of simms g3 that have been through it all for 3 years. No leaks, the only damage is from a mouse chewing a hole in the upper back of the wader while thwy were draped in the bed of my truck, camping in potter co earlier this spring. Funny enough, my brother just got a new pack frame and tries it out backpacking. His first trip a mouse chewed a big hole in it.

I have had cheap and expensive waders. I am hard on waders with lots of walking, biking, brush, etc. Expensive ones, IMO, aren't any more comfortable, but they do last longer, and end up not being more $$$ in the end in terms of dollars per year of use.

They all get pinholes. The biggest thing is good seams and the ability to repair the pinholes, i.e. taking the rubbing alcohol test (no, it doesnt work on all waders). Part of the seams lasting is just fit. Some come in standard medium, large, etc. While others have 20 some sizes. I'm short and wide, lol. YMMV.

Picked up a pair of Simms Headwaters Gortex for less than $270 have to do some searching but great deals are out there. Time of year you look is important best deals on fishing goods is now through beginning of October before the Christmas rush and the Pre fishing season .

Back