new vise

A

atticus

I have been tying for quite a while with a fairly cheap vise and it is time for a new one. What would be a good vise to purchase? I am usually tying in the #22 to #10 hook sizes.Willing to spend up to about $250 to $300.Any suggestions?

Over the years I've used vises from Renzetti, Dyna-King, and HMH. Currently I'm using a Regal with the stainless steel jaws and love it. I tie mostly between #14 and #26 with the occasional #8 or #6 streamer thrown in and have never had a hook slip even the slightest amount. This vise sees easily over a thousand flies a year and it has performed flawlessly for me. The stainless jaws are much more resistant to chipping than the standard Regal jaws and they allow much greater hook access, even more so than the midge jaws that Regal offers. One of the biggest advantages to the Regal is that you don't need to make any adjustments when switching between hook sizes. You can go from size #1/0 Salmon flies to #10 Woolly Buggers to #24 Zebra Midges with NO adjustments. Although the Regal is not "true-rotary" it still allows the jaws to be rotated 360 to view the fly from other sides.

That being said, just because I love this vise, you may not. I would strongly recommend going to a shop, or better yet, a few shops, and trying out as many different vises from as many different manufacturers as you can. Any quality shop will be more than happy to let you try out the vises and when you finally find "the one", believe me, you'll know it. Honestly you can't really go wrong with any of the manufacturers listed above. They all put out some really great products and equally, they all have their own unique drawbacks and limitations. It's just a matter of of finding the one that best suits YOU and YOUR own tying style and needs.

For the last 11 years I have been using a Dyna king kingfisher vise and I love it! The jaws are showing wear so I will replace them and continue to use it. This passed January I was preparing for a trip to Disney and a day out to the gulf. I was tying all kind of salt patterns from crimp to clousers to schminnows. I tied about 5 dozen flies for my trip and all were weedless. That being said the dyna king does have the ability to rotate 360, just not on a level plane. I decided that it was time for an upgrade. I looked into the HMH vise because it was similar to my kingfisher. I hated that vise for several reasons. I also looked at the Renzetti vises. I am not a full rotary guy either. I settled for the Regal medallion with the standard jaw. I love the thing! At times it is cumbersome but it has the ability to remove the material spring to allow for better hand placement. It has the 360 rotation on the level plane as well as any angle you choose. The holding power is out of this world! I can place a 26 in and pick the vise up by the hook and bounce it,spin it and shake it without the hook moving a hair. I love this vise!

I went to the Somerset show and played with every vise that was at the show. I ended up with a Regal. I didn't have a budget and still the regal was my preferred vise. The only thing i would change would be the SS jaws. I like the standard but the SS have a smaller profile that i like.

I think every vise has its pros and cons so just get one that is comfy for you. Sit down tie a fly and make sure you like the vise before you dump 3 bills. All of us look for something different in a vise so all our opinions should be taken lightly. Goodluck.

i have a peak.it works for the majority of stuff and i like the interchangable jaws that are affordable but on the small flies it gets kinda cramped so id say no go on a peak

+1 on the Regal vise. I have been tying with one for a few years and really love it. The hook holding ability of a Regal IMO is second to none. They make many different styles and jaw options. Go to a local fly shop that caries the Regal line and check them out. They are a bit pricey but they are truly a quality product that should serve you well for many years.

I like the Renzetti traveler. I got it last year and it handles anything I want to tie. It has a great grip and I love the rotary action. You can purchase the midge jaws to go along with it also for smaller flies but not necessary.

+1 on Traveler

+2 for the Traveler.

+4 for the Traveler.

FWIW, I've owned every vise listed in this thread except the Peak vise. Hands down, the Traveler is my favorite. I've tied over 30,000 flies with it, and the jaws show zero sign of wear.

Lookin at dyna-king barracuda. I have had
regal, and peak. I started tying 5/0 to 7/0 flies. The peak works but but had issues.
Anyone use dyna-king on saltwater stuff??

Regal. I just got one from the fly fishing show. After seeing that most of the big tying guy had them. I have the normal vice. I get down to a 24 but go as big as size 1. Mine ran about 150 so you could step it up tO the stainless or micro. What ever you go with you can't go wrong.

+5 traveler

but you can't go wrong with the Regal either

Get a NorVise or you wont catch fish. Just kidding.
In my opinion, once you get into the price range you are looking at, they are all quality tools. The differences that make people loyal to one or another are really about individual tying preferences. Looking over the great advice you have gotten so far, it looks like the Traveler might be catering to individual tying preferences that are very common. But you don't know if you share those preferences. So the advice to tie before you buy is really the best advice that you can get.

Thanks for the help. I went with the Regal with stainless steel jaws and am very happy with my choice.

I too have a question about vises is it better with a base or a clamp or is it all on personal preference?

I originally had a clamp now have a base. I would compare it to a desk top computer vs a lap top with wireless. Go with the base set up.

another renzetti traveler user here

+8 Traveler

Back