New Vice

R

raw5785

I've been fly fishing for about a year and half now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I feel it would be more rewarding if I caught fish on flies that I tied myself. I am a student so my budget is tight, I would be willing to invest some money around $100 bucks (I think I'll be fly fishing for years to come) into the vice or I may ask for one for Christmas. I do a fair amount of trout and bass fishing so I will probably need to tie some 2/0 and 4/0 hooks as well as some 22 and 24's for midges. All suggestions are welcome. Also what is a good reference to use to start tying flies. Thanks!

I finally replaced a vise that I got in a tying kit years ago. It was not a great vise by any standards but it worked well over the years and has provided me with lots of fun and I learned a lot. I picked up a Peak Rotary vise and can't say enough about it, although it is a little over your price range @ $144.00 but I did get free shipping. You could also look for a used vise and go that direction too. Some of the fly tying/fly fishing websites have items for sale. We have a swap forum here for example.

As for reference to start tying, there are plenty of great books and online fly tying websites. Fly Anglers Online and youtube are great references. Fly Tying Forum is another good one. In the winter, there are generally tying classes going on at your local fly shops, check them out too.

Many may differ on my opinion, but you don't have to spend a lot of money on a vice, especially if you are just starting out. I tie quite a few flies and have been doing it for many years with an inexpensive vice.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy a good, inexpensive vice and use the rest of the money to buy other things, like tying materials. You have many years ahead of you to upgrade your vice.

Here is a link to some good vices at good prices:

Vices

OOPS! It was early in the AM when I posted. I have some vices, but you really need a vise.

If you're looking for a solid vice in that range you've got many options, most not getting you all that far.

If you're looking for a vise in the $100 range I'd recommend looking the Anvil Apex, which is a good solid vise with both pedestal and c-clamp mounts, or something like the danvise.

I can't speak to the danvise as I've never used one but I've read good reviews on them. Like yourself I was in college at the time I bought myself a better vise and $100 was about the top of my range. The Anvil Apex is a good solid vise that I've been able to tie anything from a #24 midge to 2/0 saltwater patterns on.

Doing some checking on ebay is never a bad thing either. You may be able to land a dynaking or a renzetti for somewhere in the low 100's.

Here's the apex:
http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?url=Anvil-Apex-Vise&i=901BA8AD36CA4639B44014C6D21809C2&fx=1

Second the motion on taking some classes at a local fly shop. They're usually pretty inexpensive and will get you off to a good start. Joining a local TU chapter may be an even better option as you will meet people that tie and will show you how. Get a moderately priced rotary vice to start out with (may have to add another $50 or so) as a good vice will save you a lot of frustration from the get-go.

I'll second SotS with the Anvil...I've had mine for many years and it has served me well.

Thanks guys for all your input

Back